Road riding at Harties

TheBritishTwit

Hi Guys

So there is a chance I will be going to Harties this weekend and wanted to ask how safe it is?

The rides will be mainly road. Was thinking of doing a loop around the dam.

thanks

Also, the roads are quite narrow at some places, but mostly there are very wide soft shoulders. It is actually a fun ride. Stop over at the Wimpy, have a look at the dam wall, that sort of thing.

You could always do the Bestmed Satellite route (long or short version) and up hekpoort hill ... good preparation for the upcoming race.

make sure you got enough patches, there are a few threads of angry farmers who dont like cyclists there, some have been forced off the road, lots of glass thrown down in the past, not sure about now,,, still lekke rolling hills to train on

i wonder what happened to the "mob" that tracked down a grumpy old local who they had an incident with, the last time i saw a comment they said they cannot discuss it on open forum because they were in "talks" with the party

Never had a problem....touch wood! The bridge over the dam has "no cycling" signs but I still see plenty guys riding over that bridge :nuke:

You could always do the Bestmed Satellite route (long or short version) and up hekpoort hill ... good preparation for the upcoming race.

Brilliant route.My favourite

I was thinking of doing the Satellite route however I'll be by myself and would rather use roads that I have driven on before and kind of know. thanks for the insight though.

I will dodge all the crazy farmers and tornado's in the area...

I was thinking of doing the Satellite route however I'll be by myself and would rather use roads that I have driven on before and kind of know. thanks for the insight though.

Well I could be persuaded to ride the satellite route, if you wish company? 80 km round trip from the Pecanwood Spar car park? I'm reasonably social, even for a Scotsman.....

There was another race that started at the Bekkersdal school that basically did the same route but did Hekpoort first.I liked that one.I think the route is safe.I would ride it on my own or with a buddy.

Never had a problem....touch wood! The bridge over the dam has "no cycling" signs but I still see plenty guys riding over that bridge :nuke:

The dam wall after the tunnel? Have to say, I've never noticed the no-cycling signs. I'll have to pay attention next time!

The dam wall after the tunnel? Have to say, I've never noticed the no-cycling signs. I'll have to pay attention next time!

I think he is referring to the bridge over the dam that you cross on the Satellite,not the dam wall

I think he is referring to the bridge over the dam that you cross on the Satellite,not the dam wall

Oh dear, in which case I'm a double-offender! I really need to open my eyes more....

You can always just go straight from Pecanwood towards VG and miss out the bridge crossing and loop which is the satellite route

Safe yes. Road surface... maybe more suited to mtb. It is North West, not Gauteng...

As of 3-4 weeks ago, the road surface on the north side of the dam, from 4-way stop at the craft market, west past Cosmos, to the junction with the causeway/bridge across the dam, was being widened. It's rideable on a road bike, but you'll get a few kms of your own Paris-Roubaix experience!

If you are planning to ride around the damn, the section as you turn right, by the T junction as you come from Lanseria, is ***! Take a CX bike.

Also, the people who own jetskis are a hazzard on the road too, in their double cabs.