Trail Daze | Hoogekraal

ewaldsadie

Sitting at work busy with 70 day Shutdown, not even 30 days in, and then I read (re-read) article today!!!!!

Articles like these makes me miss cycling even more! been to Hoogekraal once, and I've been looking forward to going there every day!

Beautiful trail...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one? There's one on the way back down that is about half a metre high but super easy

I guess the one by The Gorge that sweeps to the left ????

I guess the one by The Gorge that sweeps to the left ????

Oh, the roller drop. Gotta make sure you either take it slow and roll it, or pre jump it so you land on the back side. It's not difficult, it's just very steep.

I do the former, but try to do the latter and fail. Lol

If you just drop it, you'll flat land straight into the corner, from what I'm able to surmise

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Oh, the roller drop. Gotta make sure you either take it slow and roll it, or pre jump it so you land on the back side. It's not difficult, it's just very steep.

I do the former, but try to do the latter and fail. Lol

If you just drop it, you'll flat land straight into the corner, from what I'm able to surmise

that one, yes.  i haven't been out that way yet, didn't know there were more drops.  i'll give it a go tomorrow.

chickened out the first time, then did another lap.  stopped to have a look first and rolled it slowly.  was good!

good stuff!

And yeah, the blind lip is offputting unless you roll up to it very slowly the first time. 

And you see what I mean about treating it like a drop? You'll flat-land it into the berm. Not nice... So best is to sorta pre-jump it so you get rid of the potential over-rotation from the rear wheel.

Like approaching the jump section at Bloemendal... that first slope into the trough, you need to hop into it otherwise your back tyre will want to pitch up just when your front is on the way down... 

good stuff!

And yeah, the blind lip is offputting unless you roll up to it very slowly the first time. 

And you see what I mean about treating it like a drop? You'll flat-land it into the berm. Not nice... So best is to sorta pre-jump it so you get rid of the potential over-rotation from the rear wheel.

Like approaching the jump section at Bloemendal... that first slope into the trough, you need to hop into it otherwise your back tyre will want to pitch up just when your front is on the way down... 

You know the little play area at Taal monument. By the wall ride and then there's a short drop on the right that rolls into a table? Is that steeper?

You know the little play area at Taal monument. By the wall ride and then there's a short drop on the right that rolls into a table? Is that steeper?

hmmm... are you talking about the one at the other side of the open field thing? That's an ACTUAL drop? 

If not, not sure which one you're talking about. Haven't explored a lot - just taken the normal lines. 

hmmm... are you talking about the one at the other side of the open field thing? That's an ACTUAL drop? 

If not, not sure which one you're talking about. Haven't explored a lot - just taken the normal lines. 

Oh you're thinking of that evil ledge thing that lands on a little ramp below.

That one is above my pay grade. Talking about this one. 

The Hoogies one reminds me of it. I think they're kinda the same.

Maybe this one is a little steeper off the lip. But they're both just rollers really.

And they both roll into table styled jumps. Always lekker to session.

http://i.imgur.com/AZCWmu5.jpg

Oh you're thinking of that evil ledge thing that lands on a little ramp below.

That one is above my pay grade. Talking about this one. 

The Hoogies one reminds me of it. I think they're kinda the same.

Maybe this one is a little steeper off the lip. But they're both just rollers really.

And they both roll into table styled jumps. Always lekker to session.

http://i.imgur.com/AZCWmu5.jpg

Ah, yes. I've seen it but not done it yet. 

As for that drop - yeah. I've rolled it and then done it again properly a couple times, but the nopes carry on coming back. Need to slay that dragon! It's smaller than the rock drop further down the mountain, just before the multi-berms. And I do that one no problem... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ah, yes. I've seen it but not done it yet. 

As for that drop - yeah. I've rolled it and then done it again properly a couple times, but the nopes carry on coming back. Need to slay that dragon! It's smaller than the rock drop further down the mountain, just before the multi-berms. And I do that one no problem... 

My last trip to hoogies I nearly saw my gat on the Gorge. Can't remember if it was the first or second jump after the rolling drop thing. I wouldn't know how to explain how I landed the bike but it was a lot like what Dylan Dunkerton does here except my version was NOT intentional. My rear wheel kind of skipped sideways as the rest of the bike straightened out while landing on the other side of the jump. I thought I was gonna die. But i didn't. I just rolled the rest of it slowly while I waited for my heart to descend from my throat back into my chest. 

http://i.imgur.com/evEkHpS.jpg

So. My question is. How does one make sure the bike doesn't flick randomly to the side when popping off a lip? It happens to me sometimes. 

My last trip to hoogies I nearly saw my gat on the Gorge. Can't remember if it was the first or second jump after the rolling drop thing. I wouldn't know how to explain how I landed the bike but it was a lot like what Dylan Dunkerton does here except my version was NOT intentional. My rear wheel kind of skipped sideways as the rest of the bike straightened out while landing on the other side of the jump. I thought I was gonna die. But i didn't. I just rolled the rest of it slowly while I waited for my heart to descend from my throat back into my chest.

http://i.imgur.com/evEkHpS.jpg

So. My question is. How does one make sure the bike doesn't flick randomly to the side when popping off a lip? It happens to me sometimes.

I have gone to a few skills lessons with one of the guys who is at the top of most of the downhill KOM's and he says the gorge is deceptively difficult even for him because their is a point where you cannot go faster due to the shape of the jumps. I am nowhere near that and get very little air, if any, but he reckons there have been more crashes there than anywhere else.

I have gone to a few skills lessons with one of the guys who is at the top of most of the downhill KOM's and he says the gorge is deceptively difficult even for him because their is a point where you cannot go faster due to the shape of the jumps. I am nowhere near that and get very little air, if any, but he reckons there have been more crashes there than anywhere else.

I really have to go for a lesson or 2. I just don't know if a coach can help me overcome my fears. While going down the Gorge that day I actually told myself out loud... Don't brake. 

Only to brake again after the jump. The Gorge is a string of consecutive features and it just seems like I'm not naturally capable of doing them the way they're meant to be done.