What's the best aggressive trail tyre for CT areas? 29'r

T-Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So deal done. Opted for a nice fat 2.4 Ibex up the front and for giggles a 2.2 Ardent Race at the rear... looks a bit bald and has the word 'Race' on it but it got Droo's seal of approval (or he wanted it out of the shop) so let's see how it sticks. :)

So deal done. Opted for a nice fat 2.4 Ibex up the front and for giggles a 2.2 Ardent Race at the rear... looks a bit bald and has the word 'Race' on it but it got Droo's seal of approval (or he wanted it out of the shop) so let's see how it sticks. :)

Nice, have you fitted that 50mm stem yet?  :whistling:

I REALLY want to try a shorty

Remember that the Shorty is a semi-mud spike hey Myles. I have a set that I use when it is really muddy. Used one up front at the Jonkers Enduro.

They haven't really featured in SA much as the weather doesn't warrant it but there are some due to arrive very soon.

Maxxis is the most used tire for trail/AM/enduro in Europe and America for a reason. They have not featured much in SA due to the lack of supply but that is changing drastically now.

I have been riding High Roller 2's, Minions and Shorty's in SA, the UK, France and Italy all year now and here's my suggestions/feedback:

Minions - they love the dust and I feel are the best for SA. I run DHF front and DHR2 on the rear and have been incredibly impressed by them. a DHR2 up front also works incredibly well. Santa Cruz bikes come out with DHR2 F&R.

High Roller 2's - The most popular tire in Europe as it is very well suited to slightly wetter conditions. I have been running this for most of the Cape winter and I love it. Also been very impressed with its performance in the dry, especially when I was riding in Italy.

Aggressor - Not used it very much but was pleasantly surprised with its grip in the slightly damper conditions. I know it is popular in Europe as a rear tire due to slightly less rolling resistance.

Yeah, Martin. Still would like to try it... May help when the likes of jonkers and Paarl and such turn into a slopfest.

But ja. Now that Rush has the distribution for maxxis, I see good things on the horizon.

It does make a really big difference in the mud. I would recommend getting at least one to use on the front when it's muddy, you will enjoy wet riding that much more.

Rush have got a huge shipment coming with an amazing selection of tires. They are changing the trail tire market in SA I think. I believe the DD casings might even be here before the end of the year. I personally can't wait for that.

I completely believe that Maxxis make THE best trail tires and SA has really been missing out. Yes I am sponsored by Maxxis and am supposed to say that, but I approached Maxxis for help because I was so fedup of struggling with tires. I'm really glad this is changing now.

It does make a really big difference in the mud. I would recommend getting at least one to use on the front when it's muddy, you will enjoy wet riding that much more.

Rush have got a huge shipment coming with an amazing selection of tires. They are changing the trail tire market in SA I think. I believe the DD casings might even be here before the end of the year. I personally can't wait for that.

I completely believe that Maxxis make THE best trail tires and SA has really been missing out. Yes I am sponsored by Maxxis and am supposed to say that, but I approached Maxxis for help because I was so fedup of struggling with tires. I'm really glad this is changing now.

Yeah, as a heavy bastard I like tougher casings, otherwise they roll in corners with the pressure I like to run. Super Gravity (schwalbe) being my favourite

Im personally a Schwalbe fan (just changed back to my magic mary after being on an Ibex) and LOVE their tyres. Super grippy. Having said that, my DHF 2.5 super tacky was good as well.

I'm just happy that there's more choice now. 

Yeah, as a heavy bastard I like tougher casings, otherwise they roll in corners with the pressure I like to run. Super Gravity (schwalbe) being my favourite

Im personally a Schwalbe fan (just changed back to my magic mary after being on an Ibex) and LOVE their tyres. Super grippy. Having said that, my DHF 2.5 super tacky was good as well.

I'm just happy that there's more choice now. 

With the speeds that I sometimes approch rock gardens with, I prefer the DH casings on the rear and EXO on the front. When the DD's become available I plan to use them F&R.

I raced the Trans Provence with ST Minions in a DH casing and was one of the only riders there not to have one single issue with my tires. Grip for days as well with that ST (Super Tacky) rubber compound.

I've never used the Schwalbes so I can't comment.

Edited by Martin Zietsman

Yeah man. I'm sure Europe was a maaajor learning curve!

Serious though. Well done man. Serious step up and you finished damn well

Thanks a lot Myles. The 'step up' is absolutely huge. Don't think a lot of people realise how big. Well, I didn't before I went.

Made me soooo hungry to go back and race & train over there now.

I'm working on it...watch this space.....

Thanks a lot Myles. The 'step up' is absolutely huge. Don't think a lot of people realise how big. Well, I didn't before I went.

Made me soooo hungry to go back and race & train over there now.

I'm working on it...watch this space.....

AWESOME. 

Best of luck, Fietsman. 

Nice, have you fitted that 50mm stem yet?  :whistling:

Ha, ha! Hasn't arrived yet. Will let you know when it does but I think I'll be keeping my 50mm Bear Arm. 

Other way round, normally... 

Yip, DHF was designed as a front but works a charm on the rear for more Enduro type riding. running this combo at the moment and they hook up great!!