UPDATE: Tokai will open on Saturday the 10th of December, jump to the post.

Sorry for the copy/paste from Facebook but this pretty much captures the progress from the last few weeks and why #Volunteering is so important. 

The tweet that seems to have grabbed a lot of people's attention.. can't say we blame them, some of the trails in Tokai are really starting to take shape again!

post-13110-0-75154800-1470217919_thumb.jpg

https://twitter.com/CraigRH_10/status/760491199996264449

Reto Mani (from Blackhill fame) has been working pretty hard on the Tokai Downhill track for the last week. With financial assistance from the Pedal Power Association, TokaiMTB has contracted two trail builders to help prepare the trails for December's official reopening. Not to say they will be doing all the work, there is still a lot happening behind the scenes with volunteers pitching in to prepare the base track for the contractors.

Debris, branches and erosion all need to be cleared, cut away and filled. Tons of soil and rock need to be moved from our stockpile sites to where it can be carted onto the trail and moved into place. Skill graded trail signage and safety measures to keep people from straying into dangerous areas still have to be installed.. There is a lot of work still ahead but the promise of good trails back on our doorstep is the drive and motivation to get it all done.

Join us for our regular Volunteer Trail Build days supported by the Devil's Peak Brewing Company.

Dates as follows: 

- Saturday, 13 August, 2016 (next build)
- Saturday, 27 August, 2016
- Saturday, 03 September, 2016
- Saturday, 17 September, 2016

Registration for each build day opens at the start of each week leading up to that event. The notice and registration link is shared on TokaiMTB twitter, TokaiMTB Facebook and here on Bike Hub under the TokaiMTB hosted forum.

Thanks for the tweet Craig Rhodes-Harrison, VIVA STOKE! (twitter photo credit: Reto Mani)

Edited by (Deon)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about the tons and tons of clay getting carted up there and that picture brought home the scale of it. Cool. I cannot wait. To help build. And to ride! Truly think we can make it better than before! New start. From scratch. Fix what was not so perfect before. Have I said that I can't wait?

http://i.imgur.com/7Qi2GCc.jpg

I can already feel the terrain's feedback beneath me as I roll down this line. 

Any pics of the switchbacks Deon?

Not yet.. still busy reopening.

Looks very flow trail....

Are there going to be off camber rocky/rooty trails like the old cobra?

Flow trails are rad but so is the middle section of the Plumber line in Jonkers.......

I cannot wait till all my races are out the way so I can sign up for some build days when training time is less important than investing in our future.

Great work guys. Really really great work

Looks very flow trail....

Are there going to be off camber rocky/rooty trails like the old cobra?

Flow trails are rad but so is the middle section of the Plumber line in Jonkers.......

I cannot wait till all my races are out the way so I can sign up for some build days when training time is less important than investing in our future.

Great work guys. Really really great work

Yes. 

DH2 is untouched, apart from the dusting of soil and dirt that the tree felling gave the trail. That's a PROPER rocky trail, and was the best place to test your suspension settings. One week of riding and it'll be back to its gnartastic best. 

What you see in the pics is DH1. DH1 has always been flowy, but is now getting a more technical (bigger) aspect. In places there are still rocky & rooty bits, but we don't want a freeway. DH0 should be awesomely rocky and rooty. DH3 less so, but that's just how it has always been (apart from the top root step area)

Cobra will still be rocky as. Middle Snakes will be flowier, but also reasonably tech. Rinkhals (lowest snake) will get the full gnar treatment, and Switchbacks is staying as raw as possible, except in some of the corners where there NEEDS to be a berm / reinforcement due to the way the slope has been affected by erosion & mudslides. 

So yes - it'll be even more technical in places, and some places (like DH1 and some of the snakes) will still be flowy. 

Great work guys.

Will there be any high/steep banked berms on any of the trails?

Not entirely sure. Course design is in the hands of the builders. We just clear *** and lay the bare bones, and move rocks where required :)

Not entirely sure. Course design is in the hands of the builders. We just clear *** and lay the bare bones, and move rocks where required :)

Ok, I understand.

But can I recommend some huge berms even ......hmmm, if possible a wall ride.

8cb7a01cb562c2e088492ee0de877cbb.jpg

I know one of the jeep tracks guys used to do 

this

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/7619/photos/17428/s1600_me6crop.jpg?1302485243

Ok, I understand.

But can I recommend some huge berms even ......hmmm, if possible a wall ride.

8cb7a01cb562c2e088492ee0de877cbb.jpg

I know one of the jeep tracks guys used to do 

this

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/7619/photos/17428/s1600_me6crop.jpg?1302485243

Yeah! a bit of North shore will go down well, elevated above the environmentally sensitive flora....(you can use that motivation if you want, free...) :w00t: