The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

We rent a 3 level house in the UK where there is no access to the ceiling on the second floor.

When the central heating is on, there is a dripping noise that sounds like it comes from the corner of our bedroom that is on the second floor and i have no means of accessing it. Assuming there is just wooden beams with ceiling boards and no way of actually getting into it.

Now there are water pipes from the radiators that flow through the house and i suspect on of them goes through the ceiling making a noise, perhaps it bangs on something while water gushes through it. I say this because there is no damp on the ceiling at all to suspect a water leak but its a definitive drip sound. Perhaps its dripping on the beam and doesn't make it way to the ceiling board, i don't know.

Its quite annoying as you hear it very well and its only when the heating comes on.

Any idea how i can see what it could be? Maybe just cut out a piece of ceiling in the spot i think it is?

We rent a 3 level house in the UK where there is no access to the ceiling on the second floor.

When the central heating is on, there is a dripping noise that sounds like it comes from the corner of our bedroom that is on the second floor and i have no means of accessing it. Assuming there is just wooden beams with ceiling boards and no way of actually getting into it.

Now there are water pipes from the radiators that flow through the house and i suspect on of them goes through the ceiling making a noise, perhaps it bangs on something while water gushes through it. I say this because there is no damp on the ceiling at all to suspect a water leak but its a definitive drip sound. Perhaps its dripping on the beam and doesn't make it way to the ceiling board, i don't know.

Its quite annoying as you hear it very well and its only when the heating comes on.

Any idea how i can see what it could be? Maybe just cut out a piece of ceiling in the spot i think it is?

Can you get in through the roof? tiles and corrugated iron are quite easy to open from the top.

Shouldn't that be your landlord's problem? Have you let them know?

The Top floor has a Roof access but only to the top ceiling. The second floor has no access because is really a floor rather than a ceiling so the only way i can see to get access is to try cut a square out and see what if i can see what the issue is.

As we are renting, it would be the Landlords responsibility but i would rather try myself to see if i can find the issue and fix it and then whatever cost i incur will pass on to the Landlord rather than get someo-one at this point. If i need to get someone out then will discuss with the Landlord.

The Top floor has a Roof access but only to the top ceiling. The second floor has no access because is really a floor rather than a ceiling so the only way i can see to get access is to try cut a square out and see what if i can see what the issue is.

As we are renting, it would be the Landlords responsibility but i would rather try myself to see if i can find the issue and fix it and then whatever cost i incur will pass on to the Landlord rather than get someo-one at this point. If i need to get someone out then will discuss with the Landlord.

Have you cleared doing DIY on the dude's house before you call a prof in? Not being funny, but some landlords are decidedly anti-DIY and won't like the idea of their tenant fixing something without a professional

Have you cleared doing DIY on the dude's house before you call a prof in? Not being funny, but some landlords are decidedly anti-DIY and won't like the idea of their tenant fixing something without a professional

I've dealt with the Landlord a good few times and he's very nice and open to things being fixed. I'm one of those that will treat it as my own and never get stuck into anything that requires a heavy amount of work or needs a professional, but get what you saying.

I drilled into a radiator pipe in the lounge wall (stupid place to run it as its a perfect spot for pictures) and water pissed out everywhere and down the wall onto the kitchen ceiling that left a large water stein. Told the Landlord and he advised of things i can do myself to fix it so hes open to those sort of things.

All i want to do is cut a small piece of ceiling away to see what the issue is and if its a simple fix or requires a professional.

I've been busy over the last two weekends.

Still have a bit of touch ups to do on the outside, then it is on to the inside.

Have however started with the kitchen cupboards in the evenings.

post-87-0-83360400-1541160398_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-38816700-1541160547_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-68397800-1541160464_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-83961700-1541160508_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-23108300-1541160583_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-34731800-1541160608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wannabe

• 2 months later...

I have a question for you guys regarding your swimming pool backwash water. Mine currently goes into one of our flower beds and kills all the plants.

I call it a flower bed but really its a sand patch.

The pump is prohibitively far away from any drainage pipes so I can't easy redirect it into one. Any idea's or solutions? Or plants that would be able to survive in that area?

Thanks

Travis - just a thought - why don't you get a flowbin? Collect all the backwash water and pump it back into the pool ? Thing we capies do with little water.

Travis - just a thought - why don't you get a flowbin? Collect all the backwash water and pump it back into the pool ? Thing we capies do with little water.

Hi,

Yeah I'm thinking of that. Thinking of installing a tank to collect the backwash, letting it settle and then letting "clean" water back in rather than into the garden.

i got one of those 270l plastic wheelie bins. Fitted a tap to it.

Backwash into the bin, let the water settle and let the water back into the pool (usually about 2-3 days)

The expensive solution

https://www.builders.co.za/Save-Water-Solutions/Waterwise-Bathroom/Pools/Jojo-Backwash-Water-Saver-Tank---White-500L/p/000000000000615503

Wheelie bin option a little cheaper with bin at around R800-R900 plus then a some more for the fittings

• 11 months later...

Anyone know where I can purchase replacement friction stay window hinges

Specs are top hung, 300mm length, 17mm width (channel width = 18mm), stack height 13mm, 90 deg opening.

https://www.premiumaluminium.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/top-hung-friction-stay.png

there is a place up in gauteng that sells it, quite cheap, but the shipping is almost triple the price of the hinge pair alone! overall, not expensive tbh, but it's pretty meh, So looking for cape town suppliers.

Edited by Capricorn

Anyone know where I can purchase replacement friction stay window hinges

Specs are top hung, 300mm length, 17mm width (channel width = 18mm), stack height 13mm, 90 deg opening.

https://www.premiumaluminium.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/top-hung-friction-stay.png

there is a place up in gauteng that sells it, quite cheap, but the shipping is almost triple the price of the hinge pair alone! overall, not expensive tbh, but it's pretty meh, So looking for cape town suppliers.

Builders Warehouse and Buco