Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Final work and prep is happening for the events this weekend ..

3 March : Trail run & Enduro (Enduro is KZN Prov Series #1)

4 March : 10/20/40km 

Entries close tomorrow so dont miss out 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note that un-official Enduro practice is from 1pm on Friday 2 March. You may park at 11 KARKLOOF and ride or walk to the stages.. you may NOT drive into the forests or park your vehicle anywhere on Sappi land. The transition route from 11 KARKLOOF will be marked so just follow the signs

• 2 months later...

Trail Update : Home Jerome cleared but remains closed for the next week. Timber being is hauled from that area (F block) starting today/tomorrow till early next week. Hauling route includes top of Middle Road and the whole F block of so that is also closed. Please remain away from this area until all hauling is completed and trails have been re-opened

The good news.. this signals almost the end of the major harvesting and we will be re-opening trails as they get repaired/cleared :) Soon we will have a complete network available again :) 

• 2 months later...

URGENT : Sappi harvesting starts today at Dr Keytels area and move to Gums thereafter. The trails and roads around this area/leading into this area (from Tonys Dam up towards Dr Keytels/Middle Rd/from Firetower down/etc) are closed immediately. No access is permitted. Please be aware of activity and hauling in the area and stay away. Hauling route is  to the side depot on Middle Rd. Estimated closure period if 3 months. Trail Forks will be updated accordingly.

Edited by Griffin

• 4 weeks later...

FDI update : There are strong NW winds (up 55km/phr) expected from early morning Saturday (04 Aug) through into the evening, with an FDI in the high orange / low red predicted. Expect trails to be closed for the duration of the high FDI. Sunday is predicted to be cool with  light rain forecast in the afternoon

• 4 months later...

Howick MTB Club is hosting an open day on 16 Dec. No Trail for the day .. Free, Mahala, Gratis!

25km MTB (easy/intermediate route) and 7km trail run (easy-ish) on offer.

Ride/Run starts at 11 Karkloof at 9am. Set/Marked route is open all day so you can do it as many times as you want. 

https://web.facebook.com/howickmtb/

Hi Griffin

Which trails are out of bounds?  Trailforks and signage do not always correspond.  

Regards

a

What's currently on Trailforks is pretty accurate. 

Hauling is probably still happening around Alex Alleyway and Siobhan's Saunter, so I would avoid there.

At the intersection of Quarry Road and Middle Road, I haven't seen any forestry vehicles for quite a while, so it should be fine to ride  (The 25km set route looks to go through this area)

Hi Griffin

Which trails are out of bounds?  Trailforks and signage do not always correspond.  

Regards

a

Hey ichnusa

tux26 and Trailforks is correct . I have left Alex Alley/Sobiahns Saunter closed as I have not yet had confirmation from Sappi that hauling is finished. 

There has also been some unscheduled harvesting planned for the gum block around Firetower but as far as i know this has not yet commenced. 

You are correct in that trailforks and signage dont always correspond 100%. This is usually cause its faster to edit/close/open on trailforks than it is to physically go out and place/remove signage. It can also happen that a trail gets reopened but because its hasnt been fully cleared after the harvesting I leave it closed on trail forks. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Our new trailhead at 11 Karkloof has opened and we are currently marking a set route (25km MTB intermediate). The trailhead provides ample secure parking, mobile/manual day license abilities and a base to start/finish your ride. Some of you might recognize the trailhead from the recent Howick Enduro/KZN Gravity Enduro Series #1. In future all day to day routes will start and finish here. 

The 25km MTB intermediate route will be followed by a 20km MTB easy route and a 35km MTB intermediate/advanced route and then trail running routes. There is also the option of creating your own route using trail forks (https://www.trailforks.com/region/howick-mtb-trails/planner/).

Open days and club events are planned for later in 2019. Please feel free to attend these as they are catered towards giving you the best experience and exposing the trail network..and are free ! 

Please note that  harvesting is still taking place in the gum block at the end of Long Lost Trail and also now starting with the section on the left of Shafton rd as you turn off the Karkloof tar road. This whole area remains closed till further notice. 

https://www.trailforks.com/polygon/350/

• 4 weeks later...

Reminder : Annual General Meeting of Howick MTB & TR Club is to be held at Howick High School (Dave Mayo Center) on 24 April 2019 at 1730. Please note that any person is welcome to attend but only valid 2019 club members are eligible stand for nomination and/or vote on any resolutions.

All current club members are strongly encouraged to attend as there are several very important points to discuss that will influence the responsibilities/management of the club.

• 3 weeks later...

Howick Trails have a 20km novice/beginner route and a 25km intermediate route open. Both routes are well marked with green and orange arrows respectfully. 

https://www.trailforks.com/route/howick-trails-25km-intermediate-route/

https://www.trailforks.com/route/howick-trails-20km-set-route/

Please note that an annual membership OR day licence/indemnity is compulsory to ride these or any other trails/route.

Trail runners also welcome.

Routes start and finish at 11 Karkloof. http://www.11karkloof.co.za/

• 1 month later...

Hi All:

Howick Mountainbike and Trail Running Club will do their bi-monthly club ride from 11Karkloof this Saturday 15 June at 7. We will finish off with a complimentary coffee at the Farmers Market before we head back up the hill :thumbup:

Non members welcome, you can pay trail fees and your indemnity at the Trailhead (11Karkloof).

See you there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All:

Howick Mountainbike and Trail Running Club is running a membership special for July 2019. Join the club in July 2019 and get a 50% discount.

All our trails are now cleared and so ride-able after the last 2 years of SAPPI harvesting so spoil yourself and join our club.

Please visit our website for more details and to get your membership now.

See you on the Trails.