Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Hi All:

Howick Mountainbike and Trail Running Club will do their bi-monthly club ride from 11Karkloof this Saturday 13 July at 07:30. We will finish off with a coffee at the Farmers Market before we head back up the hill :thumbup:

Non members welcome, you can pay trail fees and your indemnity at the Trailhead (11Karkloof).

See you there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an amazing ride this morning... Up New Track, Dr Keytel, Karl's, Haibo. Then down Sheep's Pass, Alex's Alley to Sid Vicious onto 37km route. Rocky Ridge, No Balls, Pufadder (amazing, love it!). Up, up, up and down Brothers Grimm, Haibo, Karl's and then lastly New Track.

Thanks to Howie and all his trail fairies who work so hard to clear and build new trails. With all the harvesting in and around Karkloof, Howick is solidly back on the map!

Edited by ichnusa

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2016 at 6:27 PM, Griffin said:

Hi all

To make it easier for everyone to stay informed of rides, trails, routes and who you can contact we thought it would be handy to have a dedicated forum. Please feel free to ask for any advise or make any suggestions.

post-7405-0-79856400-1470414397_thumb.jpg

I know this is 5 years old, do we still ask you about the trails?

8 hours ago, arandre said:

I know this is 5 years old, do we still ask you about the trails?

Contact Karkloof club directly or check for updates on their facebook page. I dont think  Griffin is still involved in the trails

Ola. Chansaw is correct. 

Still happy to advise on the area though.. let me know if there is anything you wanting to check out 

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Contact Karkloof club directly or check for updates on their facebook page. I dont think  Griffin is still involved in the trails

Thanks

4 hours ago, Griffin said:

Ola. Chansaw is correct. 

Still happy to advise on the area though.. let me know if there is anything you wanting to check out 

Yes thank you that would be great. I'm cycling after many years of taking off so I'm in the process of learning where to go on the trails. Does the entire forrest/plantation up Curries post and karkloof belong to karkloof club?

13 minutes ago, arandre said:

Thanks

Yes thank you that would be great. I'm cycling after many years of taking off so I'm in the process of learning where to go on the trails. Does the entire forrest/plantation up Curries post and karkloof belong to karkloof club?

Hi Arandre. Well done on getting back into the saddle. 

So in the past there were 2 clubs..Howick MTB Club and Karkloof MTB Club. There were also 2 separate trail networks and each club managed its own network. 

Howick traditionally had the forest on Curries Post side, Northwards up to the Shafton Road and Eastwards to the Karkloof Tar road. 

Karkloof traditionally had from the Shafton road further northwards and East of the Karkloof road, including Karkloof Falls area.

Howick MTB club has since disbanded and Karkloof has absorbed all the trails into their network. Trail signage has been changed but I am not not sure how many of the Howick trails have remained open/cleared. There are some private land owners in-between which may have their own trails on their property. 

There is also a new trail network at the Nelson Mandela Capture site. These have incorporated the ex-St Ives trails as well as some new trails. These don't form part of the Karkloof Network. 

18 hours ago, arandre said:

Thanks

If you not sure of the trails  then I would suggest riding from Karkloof club because there are designated  distance routes to follow. The Howick side  trails are mostly marked but there is no set route so, if you not familiar with the trails, its difficult to judge how far you might be going unless you pre plan your route using trail maps. the trails are however are all very well maintained.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I came across your conversation when searching for clubs around the Midlands. We have bought a farm near Mooi Rivier and have been spending a lot of time up there. I unfortunately don’t know anyone in the area but would love to join a club or people who do mtb or road rides in the area. I’m quite an experienced rider. Do you know anyone I can contact to go ride with them around there? It’s much more fun riding with others than on your own. Thanks Miroda