Reid claims riveting Illovo Eston MTB tussle in final pre-Olympic clash

News bot

First and third place respectively for James Reid and Alan Hatherly after a four-rider end sprint at Sunday's 60km Illovo Eston Marathon, the feature race of the 2016 Illovo Eston MTB Challenge, served as the perfect final race preparation ahead of the pair's departure for the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, while Cherie Redecker claimed the women's title.

Click here to view the article

I still can not believe Philip Buys is not going to the Olympics... He took a shower before Alan crossed the line at nationals. 

So how does it then work?

So how does it then work?

The same way Zuma became president... Sport = politics. 

Philip Buys, based on CSA criteria is #1 in South Africa, ahead of even Reid. 

I'm VERY sad that people dedicating their lives to be pro's in the sport are subjected to this BS...

Nr 1 SA rider on UCI rankings as well. Buys 30th, Reid 42nd I think.

The same way Zuma became president... Sport = politics.

Philip Buys, based on CSA criteria is #1 in South Africa, ahead of even Reid.

I'm VERY sad that people dedicating their lives to be pro's in the sport are subjected to this BS...

I still can not believe Philip Buys is not going to the Olympics... He took a shower before Alan crossed the line at nationals. 

Good morning Christian

1 race was not based on a series of criteria races leading to the selection. Alan was 2nd on that list going in. His place is was earned, not gifted. If you are wanting to look at a single performance, then do we count Alan's result at African Champs in Lesotho where he started well behind the elite men as a U23 and caught and passed all but Phil but posted significantly faster lap times than him? He would of won that race by almost 2 minutes. 

1 race is not the answer here and to single him out is not fair I believe as all he did was race his bike, qualify and get selected. 

Good morning Christian

1 race was not based on a series of criteria races leading to the selection. Alan was 2nd on that list going in. His place is was earned, not gifted. If you are wanting to look at a single performance, then do we count Alan's result at African Champs in Lesotho where he started well behind the elite men as a U23 and caught and passed all but Phil but posted significantly faster lap times than him? He would of won that race by almost 2 minutes. 

1 race is not the answer here and to single him out is not fair I believe as all he did was race his bike, qualify and get selected. 

As a general point, it's interesting that there is a belief that there was 'political' meddling. Granted, I have zero knowledge of the internal workings of CSA and SASCOC, so it is possible, but I haven't heard anything that points to political interference...

There are/were three riders on similar levels all gunning for two spots. It is a nice problem to have as a country but it puts selectors in a tough bind. Whoever was left out was going to feel aggrieved, and his team/supporters/fans would be despondent.

However, it doesn't necessarily point to a conspiracy. ALL three athletes raced their socks off at events throughout this year and last. And all three athletes can feel hard done by that the selection announcement was made less than a month before the start of the Games (and five weeks from the XCO event).

It's a monumental challenge to stay focused and prepare adequately with a month's notice.

If you're interested the national selection criteria for MTB is here:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53f5fb7ce4b0cab4a7fe8561/t/572c3505746fb9a13cdb8ce2/1462514952315/20160505_CSA+MTB+Team+Selection+Criteria+2016-3.pdf

As a general point, it's interesting that there is a belief that there was 'political' meddling. Granted, I have zero knowledge of the internal workings of CSA and SASCOC, so it is possible, but I haven't heard anything that points to political interference...

There are/were three riders on similar levels all gunning for two spots. It is a nice problem to have as a country but it puts selectors in a tough bind. Whoever was left out was going to feel aggrieved, and his team/supporters/fans would be despondent.

However, it doesn't necessarily point to a conspiracy. ALL three athletes raced their socks off at events throughout this year and last. And all three athletes can feel hard done by that the selection announcement was made less than a month before the start of the Games (and five weeks from the XCO event).

It's a monumental challenge to stay focused and prepare adequately with a month's notice.

If you're interested the national selection criteria for MTB is here:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53f5fb7ce4b0cab4a7fe8561/t/572c3505746fb9a13cdb8ce2/1462514952315/20160505_CSA+MTB+Team+Selection+Criteria+2016-3.pdf

Great addition to the thread.