Excel Rider first big win

Stifmeister

Exel?s 19 year-old Prince Maluleke scored his first big win on Sunday in the Selati AfriCycle Tour when he broke clear in the final kilometers to take a hard earned victory.

The first stage saw the riders covering a distance of 145 km from Ermelo to Barberton in very windy conditions. Apart from the wind the peloton was also forced to deal with sweltering heat and arduous terrain.

The race got underway with the Cycle Lab team launching a series of attacks. Then it was the turn of the Exel outfit and they decided to make their presence felt as they put the field in the gutter. The Exel quartet of Tuis Sebona, Petrus Lotto, Prince Maluleke and Nolan Hoffman were hard at work driving the pace and it did not take long for them to put some daylight between themselves and the rest of the bunch. They were however joined by Mclean and the Labuschagne brothers (all Cycle Lab) as well as Ben Melt Swanepoel (SRM).

Despite having his teammates in the break, Exel?s Petrus Lotto found the going a bit tough and he was dropped from the lead group. The escapees continued to drive the pace and share the workload but as they made their way into the last part of the race, Exel?s Tuis Sebona decided to spice things up launched a solo attack. He was however reeled back after a solid chase by the Cycle Lab riders.

With the race entering the final 5 kilometers, Maluleke decided to take his chances and went on the attack. His effort was well-timed and was able to keep the field at bay to take a superb solo victory. His partner Tuis Sebona also rode a good race to finish in 7th and the combined time of duo means that Maluleke will head the general classification going into stage two.

With 6 stages and 561 km remaining, the Exel riders will be going all out to retain the lead and will undoubtedly put up a fight to the end.

Stage 1 Results:
1 Prince Maluleke ? Exel
2 Nolan Hoffman ? Exel
3 Andrew McLean ? Cycle Lab

General Classification:
1 Prince Maluleke ? Exel
2 Tuis Sebona ? Exel
3 Verdi Farou ? Liberty Life

Great!!!!CONGRADS!!!

EXEL ...see you in  BLOEM this week-end!!!

We look forward to your visit.  

It's a little bit cold today...but the sun will shine Saturday...you know the race between Kmbly & Bfn very well...always very flat,hard & to hot!!

Good luck to you Nolan...Price..well done!!!