SA’s road cyclists show quality and class during Rio’s opening days

News bot

Team South Africa’s four road cyclists have showed their quality, class and professionalism in the opening days of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 August. Team Manager Douglas Ryder was full of praise for Louis Meintjes, Daryl Impey, Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio and An-Li Kachelhoffer after competing as teams of two against the world’s strongest cycling nations, some of which had teams of four or five riders.

Click here to view the article

Was great to see all our riders finishing and really up there in the mix with a chance of a medal. So used to watching Olympics and Worlds with high hopes, only to see our riders abandon half way and watch from the sidelines.

We are improving as a cycling nation.

what was our previous best placing in the men's race?

First!! And it's a really awesome story including how Lewis travelled and raced.

Here is some information from http://www.ancestors.co.za/articles/general-articles/history-of-cycling-in-south-africa/

In 1908 in London four cyclists (F. Shore, F. T. Venter, P. T. Freylinck and T. H. E. Passmore) represented South Africa at the Olympic Games for the first time. Four year s later at the Olympic Games in Stockholm a mine-worker from Johannesburg, Rudolph Lewis, scored the first Olympic cycling victory for South Africa. He won the gold medal in the road race over 320 kilometres (198 miles 1,478 yards), beating 134 opponents in 10 hrs. 42 min. 39 sec.

First!! And it's a really awesome story including how Lewis travelled and raced.

Here is some information from http://www.ancestors.co.za/articles/general-articles/history-of-cycling-in-south-africa/

In 1908 in London four cyclists (F. Shore, F. T. Venter, P. T. Freylinck and T. H. E. Passmore) represented South Africa at the Olympic Games for the first time. Four year s later at the Olympic Games in Stockholm a mine-worker from Johannesburg, Rudolph Lewis, scored the first Olympic cycling victory for South Africa. He won the gold medal in the road race over 320 kilometres (198 miles 1,478 yards), beating 134 opponents in 10 hrs. 42 min. 39 sec.

What an interesting piece of information thanks. Louis Meintjes and Lourens Meintjies related then?