SRAM NX

Sparky and the Warden

Hi hubbers, I'm looking at going the 1X11 route but I'm unsure of the sram nx.... Anyone have any experience with these? I'm currently looking at the slx 11 speed only because I've mostly only ever used shimano

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm riding NX.

It works just as well as the more expensive SRAM groupsets.

The downside: it's heavy and it doesn't go down to 10 tooth on the cassette like other SRAM products, rather having 11 tooth as the smallest sprocket.

The upside is you don't have to buy an XD freehub body like the rest of the SRAM range. It also appears to be sturdy with the cheaper heavier materials.

You won't have any issues going the Shimano route either.

Other than price difference, I dont know the cost of either right now,but if there's not much of a price difference it will boil down to personal preference.

I prefer the thumb shifters from SRAM over the thumb/index finger trigger shifters from Shimano. But I prefer the smooth shifting from shimano derailleurs over SRAM derailleurs. Nothing wrong with the shifting from SRAM,they just have a rougher feel and you need to press slightly harder than on Shimano shifters.

As I said, personal preference. Over the long term I also think it might be cheaper to run a Shimano drive train, but probably not by much though.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

NX is a good option over slx. I personally ride XT, but the guy I mostly ride with is on NX. Exactly the same range, NX just has the cool factor over SLX

Other than price difference, I dont know the cost of either right now,but if there's not much of a price difference it will boil down to personal preference.

I prefer the thumb shifters from SRAM over the thumb/index finger trigger shifters from Shimano. But I prefer the smooth shifting from shimano derailleurs over SRAM derailleurs. Nothing wrong with the shifting from SRAM,they just have a rougher feel and you need to press slightly harder than on Shimano shifters.

As I said, personal preference. Over the long term I also think it might be cheaper to run a Shimano drive train, but probably not by much though.

I was led to believe the SRAM shifting was better than Shimano on the 1x11. Is this not the case. Also looking at doing the conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NX is a good option over slx. I personally ride XT, but the guy I mostly ride with is on NX. Exactly the same range, NX just has the cool factor over SLX

cool factor?

cool factor?

yes, black cassette looks much better. Derailleur also looks cooler. This is just aesthetics though. personal preference. 

I was led to believe the SRAM shifting was better than Shimano on the 1x11. Is this not the case. Also looking at doing the conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said there is nothing wrong with SRAM shifting, I just prefer Shimano shifting, personal preference.

I can only comment on what I've come across first hand. On the 1 × topic it has been my experience that in the older 1x10 setup the SRAM was definitely better than Shimano. Shimano 10spd derailleurs tend to give trouble when the chainline gets to 'skew' (for lack of a better word). SRAM 10spd derailleurs handle this without problems.

On 11spd Shimano said they had redesigned their derailleurs and cranks to be able handle this chainline issue and therefore they now also offer a standard 1× setup. I've only ridden XT and XTR in 1x11 setup and the shifting was not in anyway inferior to SRAM XX, XO or GX. I have however not ridden the new SLX 11spd setup, so cannot comment on it.

The only issue that I know of with Shimano 11spd is chain drop in one case locally. The Shimano 1× specific ring depends on longer teeth to keep the chain in place as apose to the narrow-wide profile of SRAM 1× chainrings. It was believed that flex in the frame in this specific case caused the chain to come of the teeth of the Shimano chainring. Because of this if I were to go 1×11 with Shimano I would personally use an an aftermarket narrow - wide chainring instead of the standard Shimano one.

What I have come across and I think this might be what you 'have heard' is that although SRAM has a harsher shift it tends to stay more precise for longer whereas Shimano has a smoother shift, but as soon as the cable stretches slightly you tend to get missed shifts and you need to readjust cable tension.

Basically both do their jobs similarly well, be it with different characteristics. In the end it boils down to personal preference.

Edited by BenReaper

While we're on the X1 topic anyone have any feedback on absolute black oval chainrings?

I also have a Absolute Black 32 round chainring on my one bike, this was second hand when I got it, it did single speed duty for a while and is now being used with gears on a 1x10 setup.

Strong, good quality product in my opinion.

Evobike have a really good special on the NX at the moment.

http://www.evobikes.co.za/sram-nx-1-11-speed-upgrade-kit.html

That IS good..

Oh - on the shifting thing. I've found Shimano to be slicker. Think of mid-level japanese / korean car gearbox shifts. They just go about their business and shift, but can get sticky when things wear out / cables stretch etc. Quieter. Hence "smoother" characterisation. 

SRAM I've found to have a more "positive" shift. IE you press the lever and you KNOW it's shifting. Like a race car / high end sports car. More mechanical in nature, if you know what I mean. Click tjank. It DOES it, instantly. And you know it. You know it's done it cos there's been a discernible click, and you actually heard it move. 

Shimano - click move. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

yes, black cassette looks much better. Derailleur also looks cooler. This is just aesthetics though. personal preference. 

Black cassette changes over time back to silver/stainless as paint wears off.