Review: Silverback Sphere 1

Iwan Kemp

The Sphere 1 is Silverback's reimagination of the hardtail with plus sized wheels. It features 3.0" tyres to add grip, stability, and comfort. The extra small and small bike sizes use 27.5 x 3.0” tyres, whereas the medium, large and extra large bikes are fitted with bigger 29 x 3.0” tyres. There are two models available in the range with the Sphere 1 pitched as more performance driven bike of the two, with shorter chainstays and high end aluminium tubing, while the Sphere 2 has a slightly more stable geometry for increased traction and balance for entry level riders.

Download attachment: Silverback Sphere 1 1-3.jpg

Click here to view the article

I'm not sold on the use of 29+ for the larger sizes. There is more development going into 27.5+ rubber than for the fat miner. Therefore, you'll have less rubber options to choose from.

Slick looking bike though.

Surly Knard

Surly Dirt Wizard

Panaracer Fat B Nimble

Vittoria Bomboloni

WTB Ranger

Bontrager Chupacabra

Vee Trax Fatty

Maxxis Chronicle

All available in 29" x 3.0"

How would you rate this bike on the beach compared to a fat bike?  I'm strongly considering getting a fat bike however would like something I can do the odd trail with as well.  Regards,

Ivan will the Sphere 2 make a good single speed bike?

I reckon so and with the the added cush of the plus tires it would make riding a rigid bike more forgiving and rewarding.

How would you rate this bike on the beach compared to a fat bike?  I'm strongly considering getting a fat bike however would like something I can do the odd trail with as well.  Regards,

If you will be riding trails more often than on the beach then this is the one to get. The extra width of fat tyres does help in thick, dry sand, but at very low pressures the plus pedals along just fine.

On trails plus is much better than a fat bike as its easier to pedal and is more agile.

I own one of these and I can honestly say one need not have another bike - One bike to rule them all! 

> XC

> Long distance races

> Enduro / AM

> Techy Rock Gardens

> Loose gravel

> Loam

> Mud

> Sand

> DH / Helderberg Mexican Border

> Hiking Trails

> The Other Woman

> DJ

> The list continues... 

I equipped mine with a dropper and a wider riser bar and it was good to go. And sure, if you are a weight weenie and enjoy riding your carbon 29 x 2.0 mountain bike on the road then this bike is not for you. 

Choose fun over efficiency.

Choose PLUS.  

• 1 year later...

Hi, is this bike good for some long distance bikepacking 30% tarmac / 30 % trail / 40 % gravel ?

What do you think  ?

I got the Sphere Pro 27.5 for commuting.....if you have never ridden 3.0" tyres...be warned...the rolling resistance is FIERCE especially on tar! To counter that, you need to pump those babies so kinda negates any "suspension" you would imagine you'd get from plus sized tyres.....otherwise a great bike for the price.....and you could always "downgrade" the tyres to something easier to pedal.

Hi, is this bike good for some long distance bikepacking 30% tarmac / 30 % trail / 40 % gravel ?

What do you think  ?

I know of somebody that bought it for precisely that kind of reason. He is pretty much over the moon with his choice. What size do you need?

• 5 years later...

I had or still have one. Selling it now. I loved this bike very much for 6 years. I have done the Cycle Tour in 4 hours on it, ride Table Mountain trails every week and jumped some big jumps. I have done xc and enduro races on this bike. Just got new tyres on a special. This bike is a very comfortable ride. A bit slow uphill but very fast down hill. The fatter tyres grip

everything and the 29er tyres roll over everything. Lots of stability. I am parting to get a gravel bike I like more.

Edited by julianp.oosthuizen