ewaldsadie

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome pictures.  Have to get out there one day.

Question:  When does it stop being loam?  I always thought loam is this magical soil that one can only enjoy for a short stint on fresh cut trails, but eventually it's down to dirt (not sure that makes sense).  Or is it just mtb nomenclature like "Enduro" and "Climbs like a XC bike but descends like a DH sled" or "it's the USD-ZAR's fault"?

really interested and would like to plan a trip down there but would love to find out a little more on the trail and type of riding before we trek down there from JHB to find its more DH type of riding?

Hi Chris, all the trails that you see in this article are all used as part of the 60km Karkloof Classic Marathon route - it's not suited for DH bikes, there is a lot of trail pedalling in between everything. And the majority of the trails in Karkloof and Howick trail networks are not at all suited to DH bikes - except the actual DH trail, and even that is doable on a trail bike.

Depending on when you plan on coming, a new 30km and 37km trail have been plotted and are "in progress" which will lead you straight from the Karkloof Club out onto the Rene's Rumble section of trails (the forested pictures here) as well as many other classic trails. We also have a 15km Falls Loop trail which is just...perfect...and a Supa20 (20km) trail orientated loop.

If you want more information on the trails, accommodation, guides (if you want them), trail fees - anything - just drop me a message.

Oh and I have seen people on hard tails having a ball here - but my preference would be a 140mm - 150mm travel bike for the maximum fun if you like a bit of jumping and pinning it through rocks etc - otherwise the standard 100 - 130mm travel bike will be totally happy here, and much better if you want to do long distances. We sort of have it all :)

really interested and would like to plan a trip down there but would love to find out a little more on the trail and type of riding before we trek down there from JHB to find its more DH type of riding?

thanks for the info Kath, much appreciated and very helpful. We are in the process of planning a trip down :)

I travel a lot from Jhb to Howick to ride the trails in Karkloof and Howick. Done the classic on a hardtail, no problems.

can anyone recommend close and cheap accommodation to the bike park, even camping. I am looking for accommodation in the area but if anyone has some recommendations that would be much appreciated!

can anyone recommend close and cheap accommodation to the bike park, even camping. I am looking for accommodation in the area but if anyone has some recommendations that would be much appreciated!

http://www.11karkloof.co.za/ - R350 per night for self catering per person (4 sleeper cottage) - right opposite an Entrance into the Howick trail network, and about 5km from the Karkloof Trails parking lot. Bike Friendly establishment with bike wash facilities, very close to town too so easy to duck back into Howick for things.

http://www.shawswood.co.za/ - Backpacker Style accommodation - from about R120 per person per night. Further from town (about 25km from Howick, and about 11km from Karkloof Country Club). Basic but comfortable and good if you have a big group who are on a budget. Nice braai facilities, fire place in communal kitchen/dining hall.

Or you can actually camp at the Karkloof Country Club - I think that's about R60 per person but I would need to confirm. They have hot showers and make the club kitchen available on request, otherwise there are some electricity points around.