First Ride: SRAM Eagle XX1

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wonder what it will cost to replace only the cassette :ph34r:

probably around 7-9k depending which one and that probably only last 4-6000km - so twice a year if you ride allot - that is crazeeee money

So after 5 years at last a 1x system offers the range of a 2x system but at what cost?

This review is incomplete with no mention of what it's like to have an 8 tooth ramp between the 42t and 50t cogs and before that the 6 tooth ramp from 36t to 42t.  This is one of the most obvious and serious shortcomings of any 1x system and too often I hear of riders complaining of being between gears.

So after 5 years at last a 1x system offers the range of a 2x system but at what cost?

This review is incomplete with no mention of what it's like to have an 8 tooth ramp between the 42t and 50t cogs and before that the 6 tooth ramp from 36t to 42t.  This is one of the most obvious and serious shortcomings of any 1x system and too often I hear of riders complaining of being between gears.

Knowing that the biggest jump in number of teeth was from the 42T to the new 50T Granny, I shifted between these cogs under varied circumstances, but each time the chain slotted into place without any drama or a feeling that it was a stretch for the drivetrain. Overall, the shifting experience was "positive" with no ghost-shifting or delay in engaging when shifting up or down.