SRAM RED or DURA ACE

Jason

Merlin stopped shipping SRAM to SA, can't see why maybe Cape Cycle Systems stepped in?

Can't see why they would do that... Now I just need someone coming from the UK to bring it back with them. Anyone going that side anytime soon willing to bring back the mini groupset (shifters and derailleurs)?

Merlin is still shipping DI2 at good prices though

Edited by Schnavel

If you buying at the top end they all very very good. Its comes down to personal choice. Rides bikes with different grp sets to get a feel for them all. 

Me personally changed to Campag back in 1997 and have never moved away from them. 

But all this talk of weight differences etc is really meaningless.

Depends what frame you are putting it on...

My personal preference would be Sram Red but in saying that, i run Campag Record on my Dogma as it just works that way.

My personal preference would be Sram Red but in saying that, i run Campag Record on my Dogma as it just works that way.

Argon 18

Anyone going that side anytime soon willing to bring back the mini groupset (shifters and derailleurs)?

Now I need a ticket to the UK :-)

My mother is currently there, coming back 10 September.  Let me know if we can assist.

Just remember if you want the UK VAT back, she must collect in person (she is in Cambridge)

Edited by carrera4s

What has the frame to do with the choice of groupset.  They fit on all frames unless you don't want to mix Italian frame with USA groupset. Only limit is that certain frames are not electronic groupset compatible unless you are prepared to run wires everywhere or drill holes.

Edited by Broker

All the top end groups are more ore less the same quality but all comes down to regular servicing.

Just remember that top tier DA or Red are pretty expensive when you need parts.

Hey guys,

Building up a bike... If you had a choice, SRAM RED or DURA ACE?

If you go the Merlin route, once youve paid itll be at your door by day 3. Excellent delivery from them. At the moment Dura Ace will be cheaper by about 200pounds. This is Where I'd spend my money.

Currently running Sram Force 22 and its quiet a Biatch to get just the lever hoods locally. Other wise the Sram performance is EXCELLENT(Coming from Dura Ace 10spd)

With our current exchange you can get the Dura Ace, shipped, landed and Taxed for R17300 (R17.80/pound)

https://www.merlincycles.com/basket/return/1/

Sram RED 22 R23300, shipped, landed, Taxed.

https://www.merlincycles.com/sram-red-22-groupset-2016-91398.html

DO it!!!!!

Do it!!!

Then their policy must of changed since I bought my force 22 from them. they dont send there groupsets in the official boxes tho

Edited by Mopkop

I have had both and to be honest I prefer dura ace on the road bike. Current road bike actually has ultegra on and I can't fault that against dura ace either to be honest.

On mtb I find it the other way around. Prefer sram to shimano here.

SRAM for sure.

Used to ride Shimano switched over to SRAM Force couple of weeks ago.

Much more crisp and precise changing, love that sound it makes