Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

That truck was there during December as well. I was there on Wednesday. I didn't look very hard ,but saw only baboons.

What is worrying is that there seems to be a general lack of maintenance at the place. Simple things like spraying the weeds and grass that is breaking up the tar in places.

But still the best road ride in Gauteng for my money.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53km/h!

:eek:

72km/h on the longer downhill straights :eek:

Think I hit the "grass" over the bars at 45km/h.  What a clown! Very lucky that day. Too busy watching my mate taking the corners and forgot go wide and swing in...Skinny tyres and braking in the corner is a BIG NO NO.

That truck was there during December as well. I was there on Wednesday. I didn't look very hard ,but saw only baboons.

What is worrying is that there seems to be a general lack of maintenance at the place. Simple things like spraying the weeds and grass that is breaking up the tar in places.

And some big ass baboons there. The hugest I have seen..

I see that is owned by Gauteng land and agriculture and not SANparks which may explain why it went to ruin.

It looked good yesterday. Weeds and road maintenance will happen hopefully.

I agree, the road maintenance is quite poor. Lots of broken branches and stones laying in the road as well.

Is it quite safe during the week?

Never had a problem, but I dont hang around too late. Out by about 16h00 to 16h30.  Left it a bit late once in winter. The sun was setting and I could hear jackal calling. I Felt a bit like Little Red Ridinghood. I've not heard of any incidents. Only problem is falling ,or an injury all on your own.

And some big ass baboons there. The hugest I have seen..

I see that is owned by Gauteng land and agriculture and not SANparks which may explain why it went to ruin.

It looked good yesterday. Weeds and road maintenance will happen hopefully.

I agree, the road maintenance is quite poor. Lots of broken branches and stones laying in the road as well.

It's not the only place that needs maintenance - there are a number of towns in Gauteng where grass has grown over on to the road. Weeds galore, trees need trimming, and so much more.

• 4 weeks later...

Rode Suikerbos yesterday, always an epic ride with good hills.

A roadie had a massive fall on the first half (Apparently overcooked the corner). He was apparently injured very badly....any news?

A roadie had a massive fall on the first half (Apparently overcooked the corner). He was apparently injured very badly....any news?

Must have been down Supertubes?

We went through around 8:30 to 9am. Nothing at that stage! Hope he/she is ok!

53km/h!

:eek:

Myself and a mate share the KOM down that Bomber Downhill (I don't know how to say this, but I'm kind of a big deal). We averaged 52km/h for the segment, but hit a max of 77km/h.

That tightish right hander needs a late entry and tight apex, and some confidence in your rubber. It has a hole right on the apex now, that messes with your mind, coz you cant see it till you're just about to drill it, flat out. 

Myself and a mate share the KOM down that Bomber Downhill (I don't know how to say this, but I'm kind of a big deal). We averaged 52km/h for the segment, but hit a max of 77km/h.

That tightish right hander needs a late entry and tight apex, and some confidence in your rubber. It has a hole right on the apex now, that messes with your mind, coz you cant see it till you're just about to drill it, flat out. 

That little guy probably had his knee down on some of those corners. For someone of his tiny stature, he must carry so much corner speed to get a KOM on a downhill section.

A few months back, I had to help a dude who crashed on that last bottom corner. Was a nasty wound to his leg.

http://replygif.net/i/1242.gif

• 2 weeks later...