Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Definitely not but some people ride down the first hill after completing the big climb; they cant continue hence I always expect people descending the first climb from 09H45 onwards.

This, know that sometimes people use this as an escape if they've really hit the wall on a ride and it's a short section with no blind corners.

The other spots though, completely stupid. Especially after the second gate when descending to the last climb, have a couple of close calls there with wankers climbing up in the wrong direction.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad i missed this ride - had to look after my two minions 

Did the MAN ride from Design in Motion cycles in Morningside yesterday and rode the SBR loop with two strangers who turned out to be JCZA and Shaper.

Good meeting two Hubbers IRL.

Just wondering is it ok to ride the route the 'wrong' way round?

Been to SBR a few times recently and was surprised at the amount of riders and cars going in the opposite direction. From what I could see it was not due to a disregard of the rules, but rather due to a rescue mission for riders that hopelessly under estimated their fitness,or how tough SBR really is, or maybe both.

Was there this Saturday and saw at least 3 ladies that were considerably larger than the recommended BMI, and they were broken, and I was thinking "What were they thinking coming to SBR to ride?". Someone lied to them about something!

Rode there for the first time on Friday, is an awesome place to ride, bit far to drive so won't be doing it often but it is indeed quite a tough ride for those that don't have some kms in the legs.

add to this some hot weather and some wind and you have got the recipe for a very tough ride for noobs.

Did the MAN ride from Design in Motion cycles in Morningside yesterday and rode the SBR loop with two strangers who turned out to be JCZA and Shaper.

Thanks eddy, nice riding with you and thanks for all the facts whilst bleeding up those hills !!

Glad the 2 of you were bonding and not arguing on the hub  :clap:

Just wondering is it ok to ride the route the 'wrong' way round?

Saw a lady and gent doing that on Saturday and just thought it could be quite dangerous as most riders assume they can use the full road in the normal direction ....

As far as the gate guard and the printed map they provide are concerned, its a strict NO. When I was there for the first time I asked specifically about the route and was told its a left only at the split and a one way all the way. To cite from memory "you can't turn back, it's a one way specifically for everyone's safety".

Some people have great ignorance for rules/guidelines and the safety of others.

Edited by Dirkitech

Have had 3 carloads of Chinese tourists descend on me on the first climb before, fortunately could see them coming.  10 days ago had a tow truck with knackered car come the wrong way around, was a surprise going through the last descent before the long final climb  :eek:

There were some very close calls on that ride yesterday with 2x vehicles and cyclists going the wrong way on the route.

People bomb down the ascents and suddenly around a blind corner, there is a car coming the wrong way. People really have a complete disregard for others

to add.

there is no rule about a car stopping to admire a view while going the correct way around the loop.

so if a cyclist bombing down a hill goes into the rear of a car - it's the cyclists mistake.

#whatsthespeedlimit?

Was a hard day out there on Saturday... A few f**knuts (mainly in cars) going the wrong way. Luckily they passed me while I was on my way up the hills (i.e. not much faster than walking pace  :P )

Also my first double loop :clap:  (Second time round was 25 minutes slower than my first  :eek:. That said, I did a PB on the first loop so I was a bit knackered by the time I started the second)

Edited by Jehosefat

to add.

there is no rule about a car stopping to admire a view while going the correct way around the loop.

so if a cyclist bombing down a hill goes into the rear of a car - it's the cyclists mistake.

#whatsthespeedlimit?

Heh, when I was last there a group in front of us encountered a cyclist fixing their puncture IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLIND HAIRPIN. One of the guys in the group came down really hard as a result of this.

Heh, when I was last there a group in front of us encountered a cyclist fixing their puncture IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLIND HAIRPIN. One of the guys in the group came down really hard as a result of this.

The mother of idiots is always pregnant