Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

It is Joburg's best kept secret. It is lovely, we have been going for years. Some pointers:

- get there early, they open at 7 and the queue can be long

- don't litter and watch for hikers crossing the road

- watch for animals crossing the road but also look around for game, they can often be seen grazing nearby

- be careful on the descents! I have seen numerous crashers

- be mindful of the wind and cross winds - after going for years I have a nasty crash in the beginning of the year, fast into a corner and the wind grabbed the front wheel, rest is history and the end of my ride that day

- have a picnic in the parking area afterwards

- there are bathrooms at the top by the visiting centre

- be mindful of the cars

- be careful of the descents!

- don't park like an idiot!

- respect the staff, they only work there

- you can get water and go to the bathroom at the other entrance to the park

- it is safe, some of us have gone for a hike or walk while the rest ride.

- 1 loop is lekker, make sure you are fit enough for 2 full loops (120 +/-)

- enjoy the bird life

- enjoy!

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of more things:

- it is a one way, respect the rules

- when done with a loop do not go down the one way to the parking area, carry on for the rest of the loop it is good for you!

- the cars drive slowly (speed limit) watch out!

- only cash!

Im so fat at the moment that just thinking about the reserve makes me vomit.

Edit: Wait a minute, I might be onto a solution here!

Patch I feel for you and feel the same, that is why I am staying away for a while......

Couple of more things:

- when done with a loop do not go down the one way to the parking area, carry on for the rest of the loop it is good for you!

- the cars drive slowly (speed limit) watch out!

- only cash!

That times a bajillion!!

And if you are a knob and go against the traffic and somebody mentions it to you, dont go on some swearing rant, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Got a PB for me over the weekend, did a 2:34(full loop) and a MAX speed of 82km/h thanks to a good tailwind down the back straight.

I assume you did it on the mtb?

I still don't know if you were serious or sarcastic about doing sbr with a road bike and standard road groupset. I'm curious to try though, knowing all too well it will be hell.

I still don't know if you were serious or sarcastic about doing sbr with a road bike and standard road groupset. I'm curious to try though, knowing all too well it will be hell.

I would we very impressed if that was on a MTB

I'm in full-on crisis 947 training mode due to a hectic travelling schedule the last couple of weeks, so looking at attempting the SBR beast this Sunday for the first time. 

I'm not looking at getting the KOM, just want to attempt to finish the big loop in under 4hrs if possible (3h59 will be a win in my books). 

So, any tips for a first-timer? A few questions I have:

• Are there any water points / shops? I have 2x 600ml bottles and no camelback, so want to have an idea if I should make a plan to carry more water or not.
  • Card payments allowed for entrance/parking?

Depends on how strong you are. For first timers I always recommend doing reps on the short loop (10 kilometers) until you know you're strong to complete the full loop. 

If you find the first climb from the parking lot a major challenge (takes you more than 15 minutes) to complete then maybe skip the full loop and ride the short loop, as you cant turnaround once you're in the big loop. Cost is R50 (for the car and one person). Two bottles are sufficient but carry a gel.

Why ?

It is a tarred road and although hilly is built for standard motor vehicles.

I am not sure why a "standard road groupset" is considered unusual as I am close to 60, have a BMI of late 20s, and did it a week or two ago on a 1990s steel road bike with a 53/39 and 11/23 cassette.  I did a 2h23 a year or two ago on the same bike.

A road bike is the appropriate tool for the job.

Edited by eddy

Road bike, compact Crank, 11-26 cassette.

I’ve done SBR a few times. Always on a road bike. I don’t consider a MTB the appropriate tool with those climbs and corners.

Best time is 2:11, using 52/39 x 11-25 gearing. This was done a day after I went to the top of Breedtsnek on the MTB.

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

Thanks for all the comments regarding road bike vs mtb. Coincidentally I haven't seen a road bike there and did it on my own mtb, so it was just a new frame of reference :)

I’ve done SBR a few times. Always on a road bike. I don’t consider a MTB the appropriate tool with those climbs and corners.

Best time is 2:11, using 52/39 x 11-25 gearing. This was done a day after I went to the top of Breedtsnek on the MTB.

Ok, I think you need to change your name to "Crazy Pete" :thumbup: , :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my friend and I went for a ride at SBR.

I believe a lady had a crash, luckily there was ambulance and people to assist.

I hope she is okay ? 

• 1 month later...

Planning a visit to SBR - does this mean going around in a clockwise direction only?