Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Also rode there yesterday, guess from 7 till about 9:30 ... Was pretty warm but didn't find the wind too bad, I do ride there quite often though!

I saw a gentleman that had fallen on one of those fast downs, some road rash but otherwise seemed ok was standing next to his bike.

you probably came flying past us at one stage then.

2 of us riding together (rather slowly), I was in a white Deloitte top, Volvo bib, black and green Giant.

My Garmin indicated avg temps mid 30s and peak of 41 deg.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did SBR on Sunday with my steel Cotic with 2 "runner" friends testing their bikes before 94.7.

Lost the one rider 30 min into the ride (he decided to stop and take a pic) and I went back to check if he was Ok. This meant climbing the hills in the opposite. Apologies to all riding like chop in the wrong direct for 5km...

Somehow we missed each other, so turned back and chased the guys catching them on the first big climb.

One friends pedal bearing on the bike collapsed just after the climb, so for the next 20km, I nursed him to the big climb near the end. He gave up and decided to walk just before the climb.

A very kind chap in a van offer to give him a lift back.

3 hrs later I reach the car. I was shot! 65km and 1220m climbing...According to my Garmin the temp reached 36 deg C.

So please check the bearing on your pedals! If you hear a click-click-click sound, it might be those bearings. Not something I check every time I go ride...and no one carries a spare pedal!

Also rode there yesterday, guess from 7 till about 9:30 ... Was pretty warm but didn't find the wind too bad, I do ride there quite often though!

I saw a gentleman that had fallen on one of those fast downs, some road rash but otherwise seemed ok was standing next to his bike.

I also stood up and took my bike out the way, sat on the barriers for a while but believe me, I wasn't OK, Broken Clavicle, broken hand and lots of road rash.

I also stood up and took my bike out the way, sat on the barriers for a while but believe me, I wasn't OK, Broken Clavicle, broken hand and lots of road rash.

eish, was this yesterday ?

No, a while back.

that place is deceptive

There are so many "steep" climbs that you'll be going along on what now looks like a flat section and wondering why its more difficult than it should be, then you look at the garmin and it tells you you're on a 5% gradient.

I'm guessing the downhills are the same thing, combined with the blind tight turns it catches many people out

you probably came flying past us at one stage then.

2 of us riding together (rather slowly), I was in a white Deloitte top, Volvo bib, black and green Giant.

My Garmin indicated avg temps mid 30s and peak of 41 deg.

Was bleeding from the eyes so didn't really notice ... Was in red/black Specialized kit on a black/green Specialized Tarmac ... Had my earphones in [emoji41]

The climbing at 947 does not compare to the level of difficulty at SBR. 947 has largely short power climbs. If you managed to climb up all three big SBR climbs without walking, 947 should be a breeze.

Descending at SBR is always an eyeopener. Try to do the small loops only, and focus on descending apex to apex- there is plenty room for error on the small loop. Once you are comfortable you can try the ‘supertube’ at it leaves almost no room for error. I also lower my tyre pressure when going to SBR, for more grip.

I go to SBR a couple times a month but I always check the wind forecast for the east rand; any wind forecast approaching 15KPH is a no-no for me, as it is much worse at SBR.

SBR is the only place I can really say that I notice the improved braking from discs, definitely more confident and my Strava times show it not just 'feel'. Maybe just me though?

Was bleeding from the eyes so didn't really notice ... Was in red/black Specialized kit on a black/green Specialized Tarmac ... Had my earphones in [emoji41]

"Normal" people take it easier as they get older. 

• 4 months later...

Received this today, just a heads up ....0ea9a133d239edf64e06201c5f20c459.jpg

Yip, they told us last time and ofcourse there was load shedding so the speedpoints couldn't link via the cellular network.

We paid on way out.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the rain we have had lately. How are the trails looking here? Thinking of bleeding on Saturday!

With all the rain we have had lately. How are the trails looking here? Thinking of bleeding on Saturday!

It is tar so should be fine but to my understanding it's closed due to Covid-19 ...

It is tar so should be fine but to my understanding it's closed due to Covid-19 ...

Are Thaba trails closed.