Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Marketing fail. Far too few people in the target market of this event will know to do that, and even fewer will do it.

Or it’s a stroke of genius, one way to weed out the boytjie golfers, much more subtle than putting “no bakkie drivers allowed” on the entry.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or it’s a stroke of genius, one way to weed out the boytjie golfers, much more subtle than putting “no bakkie drivers allowed” on the entry.

I don't know what any of those words you used mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone riding the TCN Hillclimb challenge tomorrow? single loop, and double loop from the Circus, full loop, then a big loop, back to Circus. ~129km with 2300m climbing. 

If anyone else is riding the double loop, I'll see you there tomorrow! First time in a while at SBR, first time attempting more than one loop. Using it as a gauge of my fitness for 'Baviaans in January (if our Eastern Cape brethren stop coughing on each other and it actually happens that is).

Anyone riding the TCN Hillclimb challenge tomorrow? single loop, and double loop from the Circus, full loop, then a big loop, back to Circus. ~129km with 2300m climbing. 

If anyone else is riding the double loop, I'll see you there tomorrow! First time in a while at SBR, first time attempting more than one loop. Using it as a gauge of my fitness for 'Baviaans in January (if our Eastern Cape brethren stop coughing on each other and it actually happens that is).

Proper training ride that!

Good luck

Glad to report back that I survived, and actually surprised myself a bit. It was luckily quite cool and overcast, few spots of light drizzle, which at least made the heat a non-issue. BUT, the wind..... Man oh man, that wind. Luckily it being a circular route it balanced out somewhat, but the portion with the rollers after the climb from the parking lot was horrendous. Coming down the Mineshaft I was pedaling to keep at 40kph.

Still, managed to take 16min off of my previous best time (which was on a much more efficient bike, and with a push up the Scorpion road climb) and did the first loop in 2h44. Started cramping a bit 20km into the second loop so slowed down a bit, but managed to finish pretty strong.

The group I was riding with were all maer dudes on maerder bikes, so I got dropped on the way to SBR and was solo for the whole ride basically.

Deffo going back for a proper double loop (think I could have managed it with this ride, but 6h15m of riding seemed like plenty for the day).

https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/nothing-to-show-for-suikerbosrand-nature-reserve-r31m-upgrade-f2aa6df0-6730-45f4-920d-11c31cd0a987

Nothing to show for Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve R31m upgrade

Johannesburg - The state of Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve in Heidelberg does not reflect the R31 million spent by the government on project upgrades at the reserve.

This was uncovered by the Gauteng provincial legislature portfolio committee on economic development, environment, agriculture, rural development and infrastructure development.

According to the committee’s findings, there are currently no tourist facilities at the nature reserve.

“The oxidation tank services at Kareekloof Resort are not in operation as the resort is closed and non-functional, and there is an incomplete pump station.”

The committee said the Gauteng Department of Agriculture and Rural Development received an allocation of R8m on infrastructure development for nature reserves and other existing infrastructure assets.

The committee expressed its concerns over the number of incomplete projects at the nature reserve, despite money being allocated.

The committee said the northern water supply line is complete but has not been commissioned yet owing to inadequate pressure for efficient water supply.

It said that the southern waterline project completion report was released in 2018. However, the contractor failed to repair faults despite numerous warning letters.

The committee also indicated that the project, which began in 2009, was still not complete.

“The original budget was estimated at R8.6m and, to date, R31m has already been spent.”

The committee says the Infrastructure Department would require an additional R49m to complete the project.

The committee has since called on Gauteng Premier David Makhura to institute forensic investigations on Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve projects and submit a progress report by February.

The Star

Edited by HairyLegs

Ridiculous!  Like so many other examples, the money is simply not going where it's supposed to!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

With the "new" rules imposed by Oom Cyril, will the opening times of Suikerbosrand change?  

From a news article under its Parks section which deals with National and Provincial Parks:

"Public parks that are allowed to open can only be accessed between 09:00 and 18:00..."

https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/nothing-to-show-for-suikerbosrand-nature-reserve-r31m-upgrade-f2aa6df0-6730-45f4-920d-11c31cd0a987

Nothing to show for Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve R31m upgrade

Johannesburg - The state of Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve in Heidelberg does not reflect the R31 million spent by the government on project upgrades at the reserve.

This was uncovered by the Gauteng provincial legislature portfolio committee on economic development, environment, agriculture, rural development and infrastructure development.

According to the committee’s findings, there are currently no tourist facilities at the nature reserve.

“The oxidation tank services at Kareekloof Resort are not in operation as the resort is closed and non-functional, and there is an incomplete pump station.”

The committee said the Gauteng Department of Agriculture and Rural Development received an allocation of R8m on infrastructure development for nature reserves and other existing infrastructure assets.

The committee expressed its concerns over the number of incomplete projects at the nature reserve, despite money being allocated.

The committee said the northern water supply line is complete but has not been commissioned yet owing to inadequate pressure for efficient water supply.

It said that the southern waterline project completion report was released in 2018. However, the contractor failed to repair faults despite numerous warning letters.

The committee also indicated that the project, which began in 2009, was still not complete.

“The original budget was estimated at R8.6m and, to date, R31m has already been spent.”

The committee says the Infrastructure Department would require an additional R49m to complete the project.

The committee has since called on Gauteng Premier David Makhura to institute forensic investigations on Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve projects and submit a progress report by February.

The Star

Lol...that's because they are looking for the upgrades in the wrong place....

Check out the garages and homes and booze cabinets of the cadres that administer the parks...

Should be some nice upgrades there.....

• 1 month later...

Visited Suikerbosrand on Saturday.

Started at the Circus so was a good 83km ride. :thumbup:

They dont accept cash at the gate so make sure to take a card if you cycle there.

Hi, can someone please point me in a direction where the "circus" is where one can park? Gates still open at 06h00? Thanks

How much does one have to pay for entrance to the reserve?

I’ve heard different rates, so just need clarity please.

Rider only: x

Car+Rider: x+?

Friends of Suikerbosrand on Facebook suggest R40 per adult and R30 per car as of yesterday.

How much does one have to pay for entrance to the reserve?

I’ve heard different rates, so just need clarity please.

Rider only: x

Car+Rider: x+?

Thanks, I read somewhere that someone said R50 + R50, and that it’s no cash. Better to take enough of both.

• 2 weeks later...