Entries are open for 2016 Mangaung Cycle Tour

News bot

I received a reply, we were correct regarding Montgomery into Stals.

She also attached a .kmz file, I've converted it to a gpx, should be attached

who did you email? I mailed the address on the website regarding the MTB route with no response.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who did you email? I mailed the address on the website regarding the MTB route with no response.

I sent the mail to this email: bloem@pedalpower.org.za

Definitely amped for this! Will be nice to wake up at home and cycle to the start and back for once. . . :thumbup:

Have to get the Amashova out of the way first!!

• 2 weeks later...

finally got feedback from PPA.

see you okes in BFN

Please find attached the 75 km route for the Mangaung MTB Tour.

The 55 km is the same route – Just cut out Tempe, a section of Seven Dames & a section of the Ponie Club.

post-38473-0-87442800-1476685961_thumb.jpg

Are we not supposed to be paying the day licence fee for the road event? I didn't see any mention of it when I entered now. . .

Are we not supposed to be paying the day licence fee for the road event? I didn't see any mention of it when I entered now. . .

AFAIK its a PPA event, which means no CSA license fee

I received my start time for Sunday's road race, AL starting at 6:15.

Nothing yet for the MTB ride, doing the 75km.

Anyone else doing the double?

Edit: MTB info also received, AL at 7:45.

Edited by HdB

I received my start time for Sunday's road race, AL starting at 6:15.

Nothing yet for the MTB ride, doing the 75km.

Anyone else doing the double?

Edit: MTB info also received, AL at 7:45.

I saw on vleisboek that the times sent via SMS is incorrect

To all Mangaung MTB participants:

Please take note that there was an error with the start times sent to you today. Below are the correct start times which will also be communicated to you by Cycle events

30 km - 07h00

75 km - 07h30

55 km - 07h45

Well, the MTB ride was a bit of a mess due an issue at the entrance of the botanical gardens. Some of the earlier riders were allowed through, but when we got there they had obstructed the entrance with a small truck.

So my 75km turned into a 30km. Hopefully we are provided with more information eventually regarding which party decided to not play ball and why.

The road race went much better, haven't yet heard of people missing the route (unlike last year).

The speed allowed in the neutral zone was a bit high, and that combined with some loose gravel and speed bumps to end some riders' race early on.

Overall, not a bad weekend of riding, hopefully the event can improve even further next year.

Well, the MTB ride was a bit of a mess due an issue at the entrance of the botanical gardens. Some of the earlier riders were allowed through, but when we got there they had obstructed the entrance with a small truck.

So my 75km turned into a 30km. Hopefully we are provided with more information eventually regarding which party decided to not play ball and why.

The road race went much better, haven't yet heard of people missing the route (unlike last year).

The speed allowed in the neutral zone was a bit high, and that combined with some loose gravel and speed bumps to end some riders' race early on.

Overall, not a bad weekend of riding, hopefully the event can improve even further next year.

I managed to get through before the truck arrived.

Rest of the route was a mess with *** marking and some gates being locked.

Apparently the oke who did route planning did not get landowner permission (including botanical gardens)

I'm quite pissed off as the race time will not be published so no seeding improvement for me.

This race was well supported in the past espicially with the lead up to 94.7

Bad organising like this will not attract any worthwhile sponsors unfortunately and this will keep the race numbers and support down

The road race was at least well organised and well run, was a bit skeptical after reading about the stuff up that was the MTB race, but all round good day out.

I was very disappointed. My wife and I entered the 55km (she has been building up to this event and it would have been her first 'long' one) and ended up doing 18km. R300(with PPA discount) for the both of us.

We were also turned back at the botanical gardens gate and then advised that the route has been closed and we should head back to the start. It will be great to get feedback from the PPA as to the cause. I have heard numerous stories which varies from the organiser not obtaining the proper permission from landowners to riders cutting wires in the gardens due to another gate being closed(not open because the lady was late) with this action prompting the lady from the gardens to refuse entry to the rest of the field. From what I gather there were some issues with route marking further on from the riders that got through. I also think that the level of tech skill expected from the riders doing the 35km was a bit of a stretch. There was no proper description of the route and in my humble opinion the very rocky nature of the trail through 7dams with small drop-offs etc. is not something the average 35km rider expects.

I volunteered at a waterpoint on the road race and all the feedback from the riders seemed a lot more positive. One of the ER24 guys did say that there was an incident where a vehicle got onto the route and 4 riders were badly hurt and taken to hospital.

All in all not a good weekend for the PPA Mangaung weekend I think.

• 7 months later...