Wheel warranty - what is expected ?

Veebee

A front wheel that is 11 months into a 24 month warranty is breaking nipples, after replacing 1 and trying to true the wheel, a few others have broke off. This now leans towards having the wheel rebuilt.

As its under warranty, do you send the wheel back to the agents or have it repaired and send them the invoice?

My thoughts are if someone else touches it then it would void the warranty ? But is a warranty on a wheel really something to lean against or do we see wheels as an item that requires maintenance and move on with life

Wheel hasn't done more than 1500km.

Hehe nipples :3

[Edit]: Actual answer. Send to the agents. Don't have unauthorized third parties do work on the wheels unless you are happy to incur the cost yourself and move on with life.

Edited by pe3nguin

A front wheel that is 11 months into a 24 month warranty is breaking nipples, after replacing 1 and trying to true the wheel, a few others have broke off. This now leans towards having the wheel rebuilt.

As its under warranty, do you send the wheel back to the agents or have it repaired and send them the invoice?

My thoughts are if someone else touches it then it would void the warranty ? But is a warranty on a wheel really something to lean against or do we see wheels as an item that requires maintenance and move on with life

Wheel hasn't done more than 1500km.

I would send it back to the person you bought it from, and have a constructive discussion with them about finding a realistic solution that works.

Edited by Patchelicious

I would send it back to the person you bought it from, and have a constructive discussion with them about finding a realistic solution that works.

meeting them next week, but it doesn't look positive from the initial communications about the problem. Maybe they will prove me wrong and offer fantastic after sales support.

meeting them next week, but it doesn't look positive from the initial communications about the problem. Maybe they will prove me wrong and offer fantastic after sales support.

What wheel is it?

Otherwise start a thread saying their warranty is worth nothing.

If they were bought already assembled and were not hand-built built to order, one would have a hard time convincing the seller/agent of said wheels that they were not tampered with.

Overtightening whilst truing, not pre-stressing etc etc. these are all factors that can be brought up.

I battled with wheels until I had some made exactly to prescribed  specs wrt weight and type of riding by a reputable builder.

The guarantee he gave me was that he would fix/true etc for life, as he was 100% confident in his work. no questions.

3 years and I have yet to true them.

If they were bought already assembled and were not hand-built built to order, one would have a hard time convincing the seller/agent of said wheels that they were not tampered with.

Overtightening whilst truing, not pre-stressing etc etc. these are all factors that can be brought up.

I battled with wheels until I had some made exactly to prescribed  specs wrt weight and type of riding by a reputable builder.

The guarantee he gave me was that he would fix/true etc for life, as he was 100% confident in his work. no questions.

3 years and I have yet to true them.

I hear what you saying, and that's why I notified the guy when the first nipple came lose and he suggested having it done at my LBS. Now that its more than that, it's best to send it back.

Otherwise start a thread saying their warranty is worth nothing.

I'll be sure to do that if it is infact worth nothing.

If it's the front wheel of a set, I'd have BOTH inspected - if the front's exhibiting issues, then it stands to reason that the rear may do the same in time. A stitch in time saves nine. Or in this case, perhaps the stitches are in YOU

Are they ZIPPs bought on special from buycycle with a powermeter?

They are current model and hasn't been modified in anyway.