Wattbike / Power Workouts

Hi All

Interested to see what type of Wattbike or Power workouts everyone is doing.

Perhaps in the following format:

1- Type of workout (VO2, Threshold etc)

2- Wattbike or power meter

3- Actual workout

I will start with one of my favorites.

1- Threshold

2- Wattbike

3- Workout:

15 min  warm-up - Z1, Z2
4 x 8 min sets @ 80-90% FTP. Every 2 min during each 8 min set surge to 160% of FTP for 5 seconds.
10 min warm down
Limp home

Hi All

Interested to see what type of Wattbike or Power workouts everyone is doing.

Perhaps in the following format:

1- Type of workout (VO2, Threshold etc)

2- Wattbike or power meter

3- Actual workout

I will start with one of my favorites.

1- Threshold

2- Wattbike

3- Workout:

15 min  warm-up - Z1, Z2
4 x 8 min sets @ 80-90% FTP. Every 2 min during each 8 min set surge to 160% of FTP for 5 seconds.
10 min warm down
Limp home

I Usually do one of two workouts:

10 Min warm-up

10 X 30secs at 130% of FTP with 1 min recovery

do two sets of these with 5mins Z2

10 Min cool down

Or

10 Min warmup

3 x 10 Mins @ 90% of FTP with 5mins Z2 in between

10 Min cool down

I think you'll find that many, if no most, use training plans that is made up of various sessions with different targets for improvement.

Have a look at Trainer Road or the sufferfest sessions.

I've done this a few times.

1- Threshold, I think?

2- Indoor smart trainer

3- 10min warmup
    2X 8min at 93% FTP plus 2min at 107% FTP, with 5min rest (60%)

10min cooldown

5 > tempo cadence 80+ 1 min mid tempo 1 min <tempo 1 min mid threshold 20 sec high rpm 2 min rest 6 sec flat out 2 min rest.

30 sec <VO2 40 sec stop cadence 90+ 10 times 3 sets.

That 20min warm up is a work out on its own. 

Have you tried "Eat The Elephant"? 

For those that want the app

https://wattbike.com/uk/hub 

I have just downloaded this app and am going to try it tomorrow. I have just gone through it quickly and it seems in order to do any test you need to select a wattbike. Will the wattbikes at the gym automatically appear on this screen or do I need to connect my phone to the bike?

I have just downloaded this app and am going to try it tomorrow. I have just gone through it quickly and it seems in order to do any test you need to select a wattbike. Will the wattbikes at the gym automatically appear on this screen or do I need to connect my phone to the bike?

Any of the ones with bluetootch will automatically be detected. Check the LCD display for a Bluetooth symbol. Then go to the last tab in the app (settings > known wattbikes), check the number in the app against the number of the wattbike at the bottom of the LCD). Select the one you're on.

Just make sure your bluetooth is on, obviously

Edited by Pulse

From Watt Bike app, something i recently discovered was the 20min Warmup read "workout" which is quite cool.

The wattbike app warmup is so intense that I die before the actual workout begins :whistling: ...or maybe im just that unfit

You will love it. Switch the phones blue tooth on then sync to the bike you are using through the app. Select the workout you want to do then hit play on the phone. The app will collect data from the bike and your HR monitor. 

If you are going to do the 3 min test, make sure to do the 10 or 20 min warm up first! 

ok I see Pulse beat me to it! 

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

The app has so much potential, just started using it and really enjoying it but I have a long list of improvements! I did make suggestions on the store, hopefully we see them in upcoming upgrades. 

I mostly just use Just ride and scroll to the averages screen and then follow my workout, making sure I'm averaging my targeted watts. If I could create my own workouts, i'd be over the moon.

I also store my workout on a usb drive and then upload it to training peaks using Wattbike Expert... would be awesome if I could do it through this app. 

So this morning I was changing my level mid interval and I had a flashback to my teenage years changing gears with a downtube shifter! 

That 20min warm up is a work out on its own.

Have you tried "Eat The Elephant"?

For those that want the app

https://wattbike.com/uk/hub

true, unless we entered the MMP or THRESHOLD values incorrectly. Have not tried the Elephant Workout, it's sounds to hectic. What is it all about?