Maintenance tools - recommendations

Funky

Step 1 - buy how to book  Go to Youtube especially the GCN videos.  If you have multiple video clips the look at more than one.  Normally they tell you what tools are required per job

Step 2 - plan a specific job

Step 3 - buy the tools and materials you need for that job - buy the best you can afford and do that job

Step 4 - plan the next job and repeat from 2...

This way you spread costs over time.

I suggest you start with removing chain and cluster and cleaning or replacing as needed - and lubricating - this is something you need to do regularly anyway

This but take note I altered step one.

Torque wrench.  I bought two.  3-20 nm range and a 20-80 nm range for casette and crank work.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go onto the parktool website and drool. Locally EVOBIKES have some of the best prices around on parktool stuff. Even if its not on their site, Just pop Janos a mail and he will get it for you. I have a lot of park tool stuff, most of which is mentioned above but the next thing I am getting is the HBH-2 handle bar holder. When my bike is clamped to my PCS-10 the handle bars always turn left or right. With the HBH-2 it keeps them straight.

Basics

chain whip

cassette lockring remover

Good set of torx keys(dont skimp, you use these alot)

Good set of allen keys(dont skimp, you use these alot)

Chain measuring device using inch rule to guage wear

Wrap around BSA BB tool...parktool's one is the best

Cable cutters...note not side cutters

Shock pump

Quicklink removal tool

Chain breaker

High volume floor pump

Crowbar(green) tyre levers

1L stan's / locktite / lube / brake pads / chains / rim or gorilla tape / race face frame protection tape

Valve cores / quicklinks

Pliers...different nose types

Parktool chain cleaning device

Cable outers

Cable inners

Intermediate

Bleeding kit for your brakes

Dot / Mineral oil

Suspension oil

Nylon hammer

Suspension servicing kits

Headset cup press

Advanced

Wheel truing stand

Spoke wrench

Beer fridge

Radio playing mix fm

Expert and OCD

Ultrasonic cleaner  :)

Needle nose grease guns with various types of grease (I have 3 in use - waterproof grease for bearings, copperslip, and teflon based grease)

Carbon paste

Blind bearing pullers

Compressor

Edited by V12man

Torque wrench.  I bought two.  3-20 nm range and a 20-80 nm range for casette and crank work.

Great

Love GCN, great videos...will look at more useful videos on YouTube as well., thanks...

Great

Love GCN, great videos...will look at more useful videos on YouTube as well., thanks...

Parktool also has a few but google is your friend.

What I also suggest is latex gloves. Always have a box with my tools.  Never battle to clean my hands anymore.

Expert and OCD

Ultrasonic cleaner  :)

Needle nose grease guns with various types of grease (I have 3 in use - waterproof grease for bearings, copperslip, and teflon based grease)

Carbon paste

Blind bearing pullers

Compressor

I found this awesome grease gun at the pharmacy next to pick'npay ;)

post-6552-0-72105900-1472718496.jpg

Edit: bleeds brakes with aquarium hose and dispenses oil in exact ml amounts for suspension servicing as well.

Edited by usxorf

Torque Wrench is NB for carbon. If you have alu and your not ham handed (also no beer while repairing) then you can survive without for a while.

Chainwhip and cassette tool best place to start after you have general tools.

If you dont have normal tool box start there 

Spanners ring and flat 

Pliers

Cutters

Allen keys, preferable to get T handle ones, I prefer using the round nose ones but I have normal set and torque bits also.

Note on torque wrench, If everything has to be 5nm the once off one is fine, however the 6nm wont be quite as usefull. I have 5-22 and very happy that I couldn't find the 5nm one at the time.

Whaat? No beer?  Seems i must relinquish my tools then...

attachicon.gifsyringe.jpg

Edit: bleeds brakes with aquarium hose and dispenses oil in exact ml amounts for suspension servicing as well.

Dat so brein eendag moet vrot.  Nice idea.

Great

Check out their sister channel - GMBN.

You may just learn some sick ass new MTB skillz.

attachicon.gifsyringe.jpg

I got one of these at Plastics for Africa for 50 bucks to measure my suspension oil

post-50361-0-36724000-1472720160_thumb.jpg

Step 1 - buy how to book

Step 2 - plan a specific job

Step 3 - buy the tools and materials you need for that job - buy the best you can afford and do that job

Step 4 - plan the next job and repeat from 2...

This way you spread costs over time.

I suggest you start with removing chain and cluster and cleaning or replacing as needed - and lubricating - this is something you need to do regularly anyway

Step 5: take bike + credit card to LBS so they can fix your ####-ups.

(Step 5 for me, anyway)

Step 5: take bike + credit card to LBS so they can fix your ####-ups.

(Step 5 for me, anyway)

Not for me. Since I have been taking care of my own bikes, I have spend alot less and have had better results

Not for me. Since I have been taking care of my own bikes, I have spend alot less and have had better results

Likewise. Rather spend the money I would have spent on other people's labour on tools to do it myself (Being a techie also helps).

Admit to making some mistakes ... and having to dig into the Christmas funds to get it resolved, but find it a lot more pleasurable to work on my own bike. Anyway, if you look at the regularity I do my chain and cassette (6 hours of riding), there is no way I would have those cleaned regularly at my LBS.