Disturbing incident at Modders

Plentipotential

Jeez, what the hell kind of speeds are you guys doing in JHB?

When I crash on a MTB in KZN I hit a soft bush with the same sound as a squeak toy.

Most of us do, and we hope that no one was watching us embarrass ourselves. No one knows what happened in this instance as he was on his own at the time, however one of the aspects of this incident that disturbed me was the innocuous stretch of road together with speed humps which would slow you down. It highlighted just how badly things can go wrong anywhere and anytime. I cannot help think that could have been me on any one of my rides in that reserve over the last 4 years! Most of the time I ride that road it's in the dark and flat out down the hill on my way back to the car park.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Construction - The reserve will not be affected, it is to remain fully intact and Zendai will develop the surrounding areas up to Allandale.

The plan can be seen here: http://www.heartland.co.za/3_project_overview.php

I overheard the guys at the bike wash saying the grading of the bumps in the road had been done to stop the security company speeding in the reserve and to project the animals. This and probably slowing water flow when it gets to the rainy season.

I rode there today, and thought about this poor oke the ehole time. Anyone have an update on his condition?

The lesson I have drawn from this is that when riding alone, be 100% risk averse. Finish the ride, and go home in one piece, no matter how long it takes.

The lesson I have drawn from this is that when riding alone, be 100% risk averse. Finish the ride, and go home in one piece, no matter how long it takes.

This.

The first sensible thing a lawyer has said since Portia delivered her "quality of mercy" plea in the Shylock matter.

• 2 weeks later...

An ambulance was attending another chap that fell victim to one of the jumps...

These speed bumps in the road that cars drive on?

If so there's an issue the owners/managers need to look at addressing, maybe signage etc, people generally don't assume speed bumps are everywhere and they aren't always easy to discern.

These speed bumps in the road that cars drive on?

If so there's an issue the owners/managers need to look at addressing, maybe signage etc, people generally don't assume speed bumps are everywhere and they aren't always easy to discern.

There are lots of signs warning you to slow down. Plus its really not that hectic!

There are lots of signs warning you to slow down. Plus its really not that hectic!

It's true, there are signs and the bumps are not hectic. But, the speed bumps are purposeless, irritating and have caused 2 casualties that we know of. I reckon they are messing with some strava PR's, which might account for the casualties.

Speaking of speedbumps, is nobody else irritated by the unmarked one on the tar road just after you enter the gatehouse? I klapped it so hard the other day, that Discovery Insure registered it as an impact, and called my wife to say that my car had been in an accident.

#speedbumpsmustfall

Edited by Harryn

It's true, there are signs and the bumps are not hectic. But, the speed bumps are purposeless, irritating and have caused 2 casualties that we know of. I reckon they are messing with some strava PR's, which might account for the casualties.

Speaking of speedbumps, is nobody else irritated by the unmarked one on the tar road just after you enter the gatehouse? I klapped it so hard the other day, that Discovery Insure registered it as an impact, and called my wife to say that my car had been in an accident.

#speedbumpsmustfall

The speedbump that has little speed bumps before and after the speedbump, that's how hectic that speedbump is! 

An ambulance was attending another chap that fell victim to one of the jumps...

We got there just after it happened, guy didn't look to be in a good way. Didn't want to be moved either. The ambulance only got there as I was driving out of the reserve, he must have been there for a good 45 minutes or so. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

That downhill section with all the loose sand and speed bumps is not something to be over confident with.

Speed bumps don't need to be hectic to smash you if you are going fast and don't notice them if they are unmarked. No one expects there to be large bumps in a roadway.

Speed bumps don't need to be hectic to smash you if you are going fast and don't notice them if they are unmarked. No one expects there to be large bumps in a roadway.

They are consistent don't come up suddenly. The guy who was down also had to have gone over a fair amount before he came short.