Shimano XT M780 Pedals: Bearing Overhaul??

Gerhardc

You just need to pull out the axle assembly out, regrease, tighten bearing and put back in shell.

I have never changed the bearing on these pedals....

Edit: Its easy peasy to do.

Edited by Eldron

You just need to pull out the axle assembly out, regrease, tighten bearing and put back in shell.

Thanks!

The axle feels loose on the right foot pedal and I fear it may be the bearings!! I'll first try to loosen it, regrease and tighten as you say!! :thumbup:

You need to hold the pedal tightly - a vice may be necessary and unscrew the axle assembly from the body. The thread is  probably quite stiff. The bearings are at the end of the shaft and can be tightened using  suitably small spanners. Its a bit like doing a cup and cone hub, only easier.On my DX pedals they are 7 or 8 mm I think. Don't make them too tight. Add some suitable grease and re-assemble. Its a very easy job and as Eldron says, you probably won't need to replace the bearings themselves.

jip. very easy. also used the same bearings again.

11 at a side if memory serves me correctly.

but beware - those bearings are small and can easily disappear - run from a table etc...

you will spend more time looking for one bearing (like I did) than servicing 10 sets of pedals

found the bearing with a magnet at the end :whistling:

Plenty of Youtube examples on this if anyone gets stuck.

As an aside, I took my bike in for a creak, got told it was the pedals. Also got told they weren't servicable and I could buy some new ones. 30sec of searching revealed what's suggested here...

The best part is that they're "self greasing" - pull the axle assembly out, clean everything then squirt grease into the pedal chassis - as you screw the axle back in you'll see the older dirty grease being squeezed out!

Shimano pedals frikkin rock. Bullet proof, last forever and are piss easy to service.

Pedal failure can have catastrophic consequences if it happens at the wrong time. I'd rather buy new pedals. When mine failed, I was lucky there wasn't a vehicle approaching.

Pedal failure can have catastrophic consequences if it happens at the wrong time. I'd rather buy new pedals. When mine failed, I was lucky there wasn't a vehicle approaching.

They only fail if not maintained properly and the pedal body comes away ie unscrews from the body or an axle snaps - which is less likely. I am guilty of this. My pedal fell off while wheeling the bike out to ride. That will never happen again because I tightened it correctly the second time...

I have aside from the above never had a Shimano pedal fail me.

Dont forget you will need a pedal nut tool to remove the plastic outer to get the pedal apart.

Well worth the time.  As Eldron said, self greasing, set with the correct spanners, fill with grease and tighten.  Watch all the excess grease ooze out under pressure.

My DX take a bit more time as the screws need to be undone but the principle is the same.  The pedals WILL last longer as they take an enormous amount of abuse are seldom maintained.

Edited by Sepia

Thanks!

The axle feels loose on the right foot pedal and I fear it may be the bearings!! I'll first try to loosen it, regrease and tighten as you say!! :thumbup:

You can adjust the preload on the bearings - be gentle - it's pretty obvious how to when the axle is out.

Whatever you do - don't try to replace the bearings.... that is a PITA...

huh?? wat gaan daar aan?

Pedal came off the crank and it pinched his finger when he took it off the shoe... luckily he didn't crash.... but the finger took some strain....

All his own fault...