Riders you liked & supported over the years V riders you really don't like . . . .

Bonus

Liked: Andy Schleck, Ulrich, Spartacus, Thor, Gilbert, Sagan, Jens

Don't like: Froome, Wiggens, Nibali and f@#ing Floyd Landis.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha.. Floyd Landis.... what a legend! I still have some of that glorious custard yellow Phonak kit just to make me smile.

Alejandro and Vincenzo.... complete cyclists. 

I was a huge fan of Michael Rasmussen before he was found out to be another Lance.

Really enjoyed Jensie as a cyclist. A true gentleman.

I strangely liked Wiggins after seeing him interviewed about why everyone hates him, as well as picturing him as a Mod Fox from the Mighty Boosh... That combo kind of made him hilarious in my eyes.

Andreas Kloden is a bit of an unsung hero. Recently I have been SUPER impressed with Greg Van A... he seems like a genuine dude. 

Never ever liked the Schleck sisters. Really don't enjoy Nairo Quintana... He reminds me of a grump Toadwart.

Michael Rasmussen - how many times did he crash on that final ITT ???

"Michael Rasmussen, experienced one of the biggest blow-outs in history, crashing twice and requiring three bike changes. It was a shocking, regrettable day for poor Chicken, and falling from a potential podium in Paris to seventh on GC in one afternoon will be hard to forget.

In 2005 I was in the hills outside St. Etienne watching with my son and it was horrendous! His tour was destroyed over an hours ride.

It's easier to list the riders I really don't like, in no particular order

Cavendish, Wiggins, Contador, le Mond

I've tried to like them but for some reason it does not last, dunno why.

If it was not for their obvious cycling talent they would be on the same level as justin bibier....

:D Guess it must be my Grumpy Nature because I like three of those riders, Wiggins, Contador, and Le Mond and I will add a few more like Gilberto Simoni, Petacchi, Cipollini, Zabel, Robbie McKewen, Jan Ullrich, Valverde, Miguel Indurain, Marco Pantani, Ivan Gotti, Michele Scarponi, Joaquim Rodriguez and I'll toss Ivan Basso in as well, not my favourite but I dont dislike him.

Riders I dislike and I have to say for no particular reason having never even met them, but I dunno, they just dont gel with me - Cancellera, Froome, Jens Voigt, Richie Porte, Cavendish, Cadel Evans, Damiano Cunego, Geraint Thomas, plus I am not that fond of Nibali or Quintana, but I cant say I particularly dislike them either. 

Mr Armstrong is sort of an enigma with me, he made racing great in the day and he was a fierce competitor, but his personality and arrogance always irked me intensely, although from recent news comments on him he seems to have mellowed considerably and I think thats great,... I am however still kinda neutral on him.  :D

Michael Rasmussen - how many times did he crash on that final ITT ???

"Michael Rasmussen, experienced one of the biggest blow-outs in history, crashing twice and requiring three bike changes. It was a shocking, regrettable day for poor Chicken, and falling from a potential podium in Paris to seventh on GC in one afternoon will be hard to forget.

In 2005 I was in the hills outside St. Etienne watching with my son and it was horrendous! His tour was destroyed over an hours ride.

I remember just sitting there staring at the screen in utter disbelief... What a day.

I also had huge hopes for Linus Gerdemann after he won that retarded breakaway to Le Grand-Bornund in 2007. He seemed like such a promising rider with a good attitude back in those days.

Pity he never came right after a bad crash in 2008.

Growing up in the isolation years, I had three heroes:

• Alan van Heerden
  • Ertjies Bezuidenhoud
  • Willie Engelbrecht

Also enjoyed Greg Lemond's exploits.

Laurent Fignon was awesome in his day

Never liked:

• Cadel Evans
  • Michael Rasmussen
  • Frank Schleck - post Sacrum issues

I could watch Ratboy, doing anything, all day.

Still pi**ed about Lance letting the side down.

edit: added disliked rider

Edited by darelinp

hahaha.. Floyd Landis.... what a legend! I still have some of that glorious custard yellow Phonak kit just to make me smile.

Alejandro and Vincenzo.... complete cyclists. 

I was a huge fan of Michael Rasmussen before he was found out to be another Lance.

Really enjoyed Jensie as a cyclist. A true gentleman.

I strangely liked Wiggins after seeing him interviewed about why everyone hates him, as well as picturing him as a Mod Fox from the Mighty Boosh... That combo kind of made him hilarious in my eyes.

Andreas Kloden is a bit of an unsung hero. Recently I have been SUPER impressed with Greg Van A... he seems like a genuine dude. 

Never ever liked the Schleck sisters. Really don't enjoy Nairo Quintana... He reminds me of a grump Toadwart.

Ha, Ha, Toadwart, never heard that one before, quite apt though, I dont like him much either.

I didn't mind Frank Schleck too much, he had a bit of a chequered career but he never really said much and just got on with it, Andy however I couldn't tolerate, even in small doses, I used to run for the remote to kill the sound whenever he was interviewed.  

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Growing up in the isolation years, I had three heroes:

• Alan van Heerden
  • Ertjies Bezuidenhoud
  • Willie Engelbrecht

Also enjoyed Greg Lemond's exploits.

Laurent Fignon was awesome in his day

Never liked:

• Cadel Evans
  • Michael Rasmussen
  • Frank Schleck - post Sacrum issues

Yah, great guys, Allan, Ertjies and Willie, not strictly cyclists but Raynard Tissink and Conrad Stoltz could also be included. I rode a bit with Raynard in the old days, strictly casual riding only as he could ride away from me with one leg, I had no hope of staying even near him in race mode, but he was a very humble guy and you would often find him amongst the bunch at school or other local bike events for fund raising, even when 99.9% of the time he could have won the event with his eyes closed he never, ever raced to win, you would always find him amongst the middle markers chatting away when most of the bunch didn't even know who he was. 

Some older names who I loved watching spar it out...

Miguel Indurain, Claudio Chiappucci, Gianni Bugno & Pedro Delgao

Edited by Paulst12

Keeping mine local.

Like Greg.

Dont think that needs explaining. Talented, hard working, hard playing, postive attitude.....

Dont like Nolan.

In the old days, he was a cheat, these days his work ethic and weight, puts undue pressure on his team mates.

On the international scene.

Like:

Chavez, what cool kid!

Sagan, cause he dgaf!

Froome, if nothing else, how he handles the hate!

Paolini, he can come to one of my parties anytime!

Dislike:

Valverde, cheat

Contador, cheat

Nibali, cheat