SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

Can anyone offer advice on this question?

My wife works as a teacher and her salary is well below the R500k threshold (teacher, of course). Her tax gets deducted and IRP5 has been issued, and theoretically she doen't need to submit a return.

However, this year she took out a hospital plan (no medical via the school) and it's cost her about R15k in premiums. The payments are direct and don't appear on the IRP5.

The question: assuming the school deducted correctly, is it worth submitting a claim via efiling for the medical expenses?

She can submit a ITR12 which reflects income from all sources. The medical aid would have sent you a tax certificate which states the total amount of premiums paid. Request the 2019 tax form on efiling and it should reflect her IRP5 and Medical details already. She should get about 20% back on premiums.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 11 and money is in the bank.

Well not my bank anymore but it was for a brief moment in time

I am on day 9 today so if that trend carries on then I should get sorted next week, here's hoping......

I am still waiting on my 2018 refund

Got around 30% of amount I was due to get

Dispute lodged and got a further 10% in January

Another dispute...and the time lines have expired and still nothing.

Been escalated now,,,another 21 days timeline  :thumbdown:

SARS has 60 working days to respond to a dispute (not 21 days). If these 60 working days have expired, you need to lodge a complaint via the CMO (Complaints Monitoring Office). Those call centre escalations are not worth the time spent on the phone. They end up in cyber space.

It's best that this is done via eFiling, however, you have the option to do this via telephone. If you do it electronically, they will probably tell you that eFiling is your only option.

Having said that, if your objection was only partially allowed, you have to do an appeal for the balance. If you have lodged an objection again, SARS will disallow it and tell you to appeal. Then the whole process starts again.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

Submitted returns last night, first time in 4 years I'm not audited. At least one bonus so far.

Check again...just to be safe...

Had to go in to SARS on the 12th to update banking details (after completing return already online) ... money finally in the bank on 31st July

Had to go in to SARS on the 12th to update banking details (after completing return already online) ... money finally in the bank on 31st July

I would have changed banks a long time ago... but this is making me NOT do it!

I only use it for SARS as wife and I share her account, meaning I do everything in her name :)

No need to pay bank fees x 2 and easy to get to Ebucks reward level 5

I had the pleasure of doing that last year ... at least the staff were awesome to deal with at the CT SARS branch

So our office finally got our IRP 5's sorted and we submitted late Sunday afternoon .... Tuesday morning there was a nice little deposit into my account from SARS!

You bugger, obviously no audit or verification........