SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

My returns were done in August, still nothing paid. this has been the case for the last 5 tax seasons. Even though their calculations say they owe me at least 5k per year. 

Ek weet nie.... 

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My returns were done in August, still nothing paid. this has been the case for the last 5 tax seasons. Even though their calculations say they owe me at least 5k per year. 

Ek weet nie.... 

did your Efiling transmit correctly?

I had that one year  and took it the following year to a tax friend of mine, only to find I hadn't transmitted it properly the previous year  :whistling: .

Got back two years worth at once

Doing it through my accountant, so im guessing it was done correctly. I did receive all confirmation emails

did your Efiling transmit correctly?

I had that one year  and took it the following year to a tax friend of mine, only to find I hadn't transmitted it properly the previous year  :whistling: .

Got back two years worth at once

• 2 weeks later...

Scammers are out and active. 

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 7:34:37 AM
Subject: Confirm tax returns

Your filing has been confirmed and an epayment of R4,629.85
made to your account by Sars eFiling.

Online Tax Audit
Edited by scotty

Ok.....Completed my efiling on Friday (29th Nov). Was happy to be able to change security details at login to use email as my mobile is non existent after the move (note to anyone who might move overseas, you will underestimate how much it’s used for OTP’s, password recoveries etc, so plan well!) Woke up this morning and my refund is in my account!! So great work by SARS in my case, very happy.

I put 33k into a FNB tax free savings on 28 Feb 2019. I'm having trouble getting a tax certificate from the site. There is a section on the SARS return to declare it, but I'm not sure what to do... I didn't earn any income on it in that tax year and I'm just a bit concerned that they will ask for a certificate.

I put 33k into a FNB tax free savings on 28 Feb 2019. I'm having trouble getting a tax certificate from the site. There is a section on the SARS return to declare it, but I'm not sure what to do... I didn't earn any income on it in that tax year and I'm just a bit concerned that they will ask for a certificate.

Only if you get chosen for an audit, I believe.

Only if you get chosen for an audit, I believe.

The last couple of years I've been asked for additional documentation and then I just upload my tax / ra / medical certificates. Not sure if that's an audit. I'll chat to FNB to hear why they have an error issuing me the certificate.

It might be a timing issue with it only reflecting on their side on 1 March and therefore falling into the next tax year?

I know with my TFSA it takes a few days for the transfers to reflect.

It might be a timing issue with it only reflecting on their side on 1 March and therefore falling into the next tax year?

Hmm, you might be right. In which case I'll be exceeding the annual limit for deposits for the current tax year as I've already made that deposit a few months ago.

The last couple of years I've been asked for additional documentation and then I just upload my tax / ra / medical certificates. Not sure if that's an audit. I'll chat to FNB to hear why they have an error issuing me the certificate.

I think if they ask for additional docs it's the same as having an audit (i.e. to verify). I always contribute my annual R33K and I've only once been required to submit substantiating documentation (which included RA's, medical, travel log book, other investments as well), and that was the time I got chosen for an audit.

I just double-checked and on the transaction history it says the effective date is 28 Feb 2019. I hope that's correct and that I don't get a surprise next tax season. The penalties for going over the limit is steep - 40%  :eek: They should build in some kind of warning when you make a deposit!

https://www.sars.gov.za/TaxTypes/PIT/Pages/Tax%20Free%20Investments.aspx

"If a person exceeds the limits, there is a penalty of 40% of the excess amount.  Example: Taxpayer X invests R35 000 – exceeded the annual limit by R2000, 40% of R2000 = R 800 must be paid to SARS. This penalty is added to the normal tax payable on assessment."

Edited by Jacquers

Phoned FNB, got my tax cert for the TFS and all seems to be in order :)

Filed my return this morning and made the payment for the money I owe them. No issues with the new site. I think it does miss some old features like exporting pdfs, but other than that it works well.

• 1 month later...

SARS are obviously very desperate for money. They sent me emails and SMSs last week saying the want to audit my 2018 tax return. The email sommer says they will with hold payment until I comply. Flip man they paid me out in Sep 2018 already. They have given me 21 business days to get a whole lot of documents for them. I had to pay R420 for my 2017/18 bank statements to get emailed to me. That is a rip off and I will submit that for my next tax return. Luckily I still have most of the stuff but I need to go to the cop station and make an affidavit about my primary residence. What a schlep.

• 3 weeks later...