SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, JCA12 said:

The option is under 'other deductions'. If I remember correctly this section opens up when you answer 'yes' to the question '‘Did you incur any expenditure that you wish to claim as a deduction that was not 
addressed by the previous questions?’

Home office expenses would only be applicable if you spent more than 50% of working hours at home, and have a letter from employer confirming this. You would also need a dedicated office for work. 

You would need to have a calculation showing the size of the office in relation to the house as a whole to apportion expenses. 

As a side note: using a portion of a house as a home office and claiming expenses, this would impact and could reduce the effect of the primary residence exclusion of Capital Gains Tax if you decide to sell the house later. This also applies for renting out a Carden cottage or flat on property where you live.

Awesome thanks, will do wife's taxes tomorrow and have a look

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 7:56 AM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

So for the first year in many I am not being audited it seems, but payment looks to be set for 08 August 2021. Wonder why so long??

Strange. I filed on Tuesday, money in the bank this morning.

I was asked to submit my support documents for medical claims not covered by my medical aid. I uploaded immediately upon seeing the notification, and was paid 2 days later, exactly as per the calculation sheet when I first submitted. 

• 2 weeks later...

E-mail received on 21st, documents requested immediately uploaded, no payment as yet.

Dear Taxpayer
INCOME TAX - REFUND STATUS
Please note, your Income Tax refund for *********** is on hold due to your assessment being subject to audit for
2021 tax period(s).
Should you have any queries please call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277. Remember to have your
taxpayer reference number at hand when you call to enable us to assist you promptly.
Sincerely
ISSUED ON BEHALF OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN REVENUE SERVICE

11 hours ago, Wannabe said:

E-mail received on 21st, documents requested immediately uploaded, no payment as yet.

Dear Taxpayer
INCOME TAX - REFUND STATUS
Please note, your Income Tax refund for *********** is on hold due to your assessment being subject to audit for
2021 tax period(s).
Should you have any queries please call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277. Remember to have your
taxpayer reference number at hand when you call to enable us to assist you promptly.
Sincerely
ISSUED ON BEHALF OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN REVENUE SERVICE

Think SARS has 21 days on their side, and from my previous audits, they've always pushed it to the 21 days before refunding.

1 hour ago, bertusras said:

Think SARS has 21 days on their side, and from my previous audits, they've always pushed it to the 21 days before refunding.

It's not like it's a huge amount, can't even buy a groupset upgrade kit with it. ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, Frosty said:

Mine was completed in, and paid, 2 days after submitting the support documents.

Maybe they are busier now. Who knows?

Just filed my return.... And then got asked to submit supporting documents. Is that the same as being audited? 

2 days turnaround would be magical 

8 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Just filed my return.... And then got asked to submit supporting documents. Is that the same as being audited? 

2 days turnaround would be magical 

Not necessarily; if you have an out of the ordinary claim they can ask for support docs, eg. medical expenses not paid by the medical aid, and it doesn’t show on their tax certificate.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Not necessarily; if you have an out of the ordinary claim they can ask for support docs, eg. medical expenses not paid by the medical aid, and it doesn’t show on their tax certificate.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Anybody else having issues with their refunds?

I submitted my return end of July and got flagged for an Audit. I immediately supplied the requested documentation (that was early August) and got the reply that the requested documents was received. 

I received a few SMS messages, normally on a Sunday morning, "Dear Taxpayer, 0******162 Case no ***** Tax year 2021. SARS has received your supporting documents. Bah blah blah. Note that SARS aims to finalise cases within 21 working days from receipt of supporting documents"

Last SMS dated 30 Sept 21.

Since then, no more communication from them. Phoning the SARS Help Desk results in a long waiting time before call is answered. Although the Help Desk staff are generally very friendly and sympathetic, they are unable to assist me in any way, shape or form. All tells me that my case is with an Auditor, and out of their hands, they see the 21 days are long expired and all they can do is to escalate my case. I call them three times a week now, and still no result.

I have the same with my UIF claim, submitted 28 Jan 2021. Only answer I get that is my case is with an assessor, and they can only log a query for me. Nobody I can contact to find out why it is taking that long to finalise my case. 

BLOODY AGGREVATING!!!!!!