ASG acquires TransCape mountain bike race

News bot

this was (in my mind at least) supposed to be the old Epic route without all the hype.

Fees are R30k pp already for 2017(was R22.5k for 2016, R14k for 2014), with lots of extras as standard.

this was (in my mind at least) supposed to be the old Epic route without all the hype.

Fees are R30k pp already for 2017(was R22.5k for 2016, R14k for 2014), with lots of extras as standard.

Wow, I can imagine it being an expensive race to organise but at that rate of inflation it is already the 2nd most expensive race in the country (that I know of) and by next year it will be more expensive than the Epic.

But I assume it is more aimed at the execs and golfers and not plebs like me, it does look like a nice event though, pity the entry fee.

Like all ASG events it will now become heavily priced and mostly aimed at okes riding their overly serviced and overly price bikes twice a year, completely cutting out the "normal" MTB folk.

Don't like it, don't participate. Nobody is forcing you to do anything, I hope.

Just go ride your bike with some mates if the price is too high or the level of ponce per inch is too much ;-)

R30k!!!!

How to go from the bucket list to "no ways in hell" in 1 year. I can understand the initial increase from year 1 as they get logistics sorted out, but considering J2C is R20k and its more days, i know which one I'll rather be doing. 

To be fair - it is more like a catered fully serviced luxury mtb tour as opposed to your normal mtb stage race in little tents - I don't have a problem with events focusing on the golfer market segment.

The lesson here for me is that if a new event looks interesting take your chance when they are still cheap making a name for themselves, if you wait a year or 2 this happens.

One that I'm bit bleak about is the Tankwa Trek, should have done it 2 years ago when I had the chance! Now it is outside my budget for a 3 day stage race.

The Eselfontein 3 day stage race is only R1.5k per team of 2 for 150km of proper mtb riding and includes free camping. Catering is your own responsibility or buy food from the vendors at the start finish area. This is my kind of race - low key, relaxed and cheap!!