Any Point buying a 26er

matteox

But then if you can just roll over everything why would you need handling skills?  :ph34r:

But in seriousness. As the others said, if you can get it for cheap why not? If you are planning to spend serious money, no.

He he agreed. I road a mates Epic 29er in the Northern Cape, Kamieskroon. I could not stop laughing at how easy it was to descend down that dirt road. I thought I was sitting on a couch :w00t: Yet I'm not a marathon rider so it would be a waste!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back in the saddle, so to speak. Given your long absence from riding and on your info regarding height, age and weight etc, ideally a 29r hardtail (in broad terms) would probably be better suited to what you want to do. 

Comparatively you're just as or more likely to find a newer/comparable 29r bike as opposed to a 26r. It's been a few years since the 'hype' so there are a few good deals out there, even new. 

Also there is a larger range of choices available as well as availability for spares like tyres and rims. Plus on the off chance you decide that it's not for you, it's far easier to resell. 

Either way, have fun and best of luck ....  :thumbup:

I agree with this

When you're buying a 2nd hand 26er there is more to consider then the wheelsize.

1) It's probably more then 5 years old and either has quite a bit of mileage or has been standing.

2) It's probably running 9 speed components, which means that when something breaks you probably need to upgrade your whole drivetrain as 9 speed components are not easy to come by.

3) 26 inch tyres are not as readily available as 29 and 650b (27.5) tyres.

4) 26er forks are not particularly easy to come by, and if you do get one it will probably be an old one that's been in the stores for 5 years. That said, you could very easily just throw on a 27.5 fork if you need to. 

In terms of riding the bike... both will probably do whatever you want them to do.

Edit: a bit more research looks like you'll be able to source 9-speed easier than I thought.

Edited by madbradd

I agree with this

When you're buying a 2nd hand 26er there is more to consider then the wheelsize.

1) It's probably more then 5 years old and either has quite a bit of mileage or has been standing.

2) It's probably running 9 speed components, which means that when something breaks you probably need to upgrade your whole drivetrain as 9 speed components are not easy to come by.

3) 26 inch tyres are not as readily available as 29 and 650b (27.5) tyres.

4) 26er forks are not particularly easy to come by, and if you do get one it will probably be an old one that's been in the stores for 5 years. That said, you could very easily just throw on a 27.5 fork if you need to. 

In terms of riding the bike... both will probably do whatever you want them to do.

This is good advice. Tyres can be found, but choice is limited and you often have to take what's on offer. Drivetrain and forks are another wrinkle.

But there IS CRC, so not the end of the world.

This is good advice. Tyres can be found, but choice is limited and you often have to take what's on offer. Drivetrain and forks are another wrinkle.

But there IS CRC, so not the end of the world.

Where do you guys shop that makes finding a 9 speed drivetrain difficult to find?

Loads available and cheap as chips.

Getting into mtb for winter, I got on a 26" bike.

Tyres are easy to find if you like specialized range, and they're well made and well priced.

Upgrades to drivetrain can always be done and made the biggest difference, but also can be moved onto new frame if you find you want to upsize the wheels.

Forks are hard to come by, but generally, it's a cheaper affair all round as the used 26" market is fabulous value.

Ride it. As long as you're riding, it's all that matters.

I enjoy my inbred 29er, but still miss my Blue Pig every now and then.

Ride what you like, man, it's all the same in the end.

Having just upgraded from a 26er to a 29er, I can tell you that the wheel size thing is very much overhyped. Getting a bike with the correct size frame for your body, the correct geometry and a properly setup suspension for the type of riding you are going to do is much more important.

Get what you can afford now and get busy riding. Once you know what you really want you can upgrade, and since 26ers are so cheap second-hand now, you will not lose much, if anything, when you want to sell it again.

Specialized had 26er tyres available if you are worried about tyres. 

Edited by Moridin

guys thanks very much for the input , is a huge help . Cant believe how sport has advanced since i stopped biking many moons ago . What is the suggestion .....going hard tail or dual suspension for the offtrack visits .

Looking at the Ads I saw a Scott and Rocky Mountain , what brands bikes are the ones to consider ? 

guys thanks very much for the input , is a huge help . Cant believe how sport has advanced since i stopped biking many moons ago . What is the suggestion .....going hard tail or dual suspension for the offtrack visits .

Looking at the Ads I saw a Scott and Rocky Mountain , what brands bikes are the ones to consider ?

Go full suspension if you can, both Scott and Rocky Mountain are good, also Specialized, Giant, Merida, Trek, GT I'm probably missing something but those are the big brands. More important to check for solid components.

thanks loving the feedback

have found the options below , are carbon frames ok to buy or to stick with Alu ? 

2011  Rocky Mountain Element 30 MSL Carbon Large @ R17 000

2011 Merida 96 Full CARBON 26 (3X10) @ R 10 000

2010 Carbon 26er Scott Spark XL 2 R12 000

2012 Giant Anthem X 26er Large @ R10 000

have found the options below , are carbon frames ok to buy or to stick with Alu ? 

you are kidding me i am about to sell my 2013 Scott 920 dual sus which has a front triangle which is carbon for R20k. Judging by some of those prices i can get more for it - and its currently at the shop getting a brand new warranty frame put on. 

you are kidding me i am about to sell my 2013 Scott 920 dual sus which has a front triangle which is carbon for R20k. Judging by some of those prices i can get more for it - and its currently at the shop getting a brand new warranty frame put on.

I'll give you 21k, haha.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Whats your budget?