Interview: Kevin Benkenstein is Climbing for Qhubeka

Nick

For three consecutive weekends this month, Kevin Benkenstein will be Everesting (climbing 8,848 metres) in three different cities to raise money for Qhubeka. This is a haul of over 26,500 metres of ascent. Kevin completed his first challenge in Cape Town over the weekend with Johannesburg and Durban to come. We asked Kevin a few questions about his Climbing for Qhubeka challenge.

Click here to view the article

The oke is a machine. His ability to ride for hours on end is amazing and its not like he is riding slowly either. 

BUT he doesn't seem to do much racing unless I just don't notice his name in the results. I am sure he would be able to do flipping well in any race he enters.

We saw this oke casually Everesting Linksfield Ridge a few months ago. If you want to try and keep him company, at any stage, best you bring your climbing shoes, those really, really fast ones.

I'll be there in preparation for my own everesting same time next year.

Benky is truly a machine... having done multiple everestings and high rouleurs club. basically an everesting except that it is 10000m instead of 8848m.

The oke is a machine. His ability to ride for hours on end is amazing and its not like he is riding slowly either. 

BUT he doesn't seem to do much racing unless I just don't notice his name in the results. I am sure he would be able to do flipping well in any race he enters.

He used to race at SA pro level back in the day at u16 level, then went into the working world. After a few years off he came back and raced for Europcar locally as a pro as well as a stint in Belgium. He then stopped racing pro and just rides his bike which is what he enjoys. He did ride SA Champs this year just to put in a few attacks and keep the pro's honest.