Spares needed for extended trip / absence from LBS

Oldtmr

Good afternoon hubbers,

I again would greatly appreciate, your years of experience to help me in the following scenario.

I will be taking my bike with on a project in Africa, we are flying in so space / weight is at a premium.

I need your advice on what spares needs to be taken with seeing that  my bike will not be seeing civilisation for about 4 months and about 4000km.

I will be taking the normal list: Bike: Titan Comp

Tools

Pumps Shock and tyre

Spare tires

Tubes

Sealant

Lubricant

Chain scrubber

Brake Pads

Spare chain and master links

Your advice will be appreciated greatly

what tools exactly ?

and why a chain scrubber ?

The following tools

Allen/ torx keys

Screw drivers

Crank puller

cassette key

Tire levers

Spoke wrench

Chain checker

Chain Whip

And all other tools found on construction and electrical installation sites.

Chain scrubber is light and compact and I am obsessed with a clean and freshly lubed chain

How worn are your cassette and chainrings? If you're planning on doing 4000km you may want to replace before you leave or take spares with you.

Thanks for all the feedback so far bike still new done about 200km

Crank puller

cassette key

Chain checker

Chain Whip

I wouldn't hump all these

are you planning on using this stuff ? and if you are will you take the spares as well

Spare chain, if you're taking a chain checker. Kinda pointless knowing it's knackered if there's nothing you can do about it.

Spare spokes?

Maybe a spare set of rear wheel (freehub included) bearings? <- might be overkill

Spare tubeless valve and or valve cores (presuming you're running tubeless?)

Duct tape

Cable ties

Have a look at the free preview for Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1934030597/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474447607&sr=1-2&keywords=zinn+and+the+art

The section on tools is near the beginning of the book and the whole thing is accessible freely there.

Get a rigid fork for touring, one thing less that can go wrong. I just use 2.4 tyres then and it runs fine. 

I can come show you my setup if you want.

Spare chain, if you're taking a chain checker. Kinda pointless knowing it's knackered if there's nothing you can do about it.

That was already included in his list.

Air travel and asociated air pressure can mess with sealed units such as hydraulic brakes. On my recent bike relocation the front brakes were poked. I suspect that there was some air in the system / not topped up properly. Wish I brought with only a small bit of miniral oil to get the brakes going again, so ad that to your list if you wish. (Obviously with basic tools to bleed & topup)

Furthermore I deflate my shocks a bit, once again for fear of pressure loss/increase. Don't think it critical but if you go that way obviously you'll need to take with a shock pump.

In case you need to re-seat tyres, a Schrader adapter. (You sure to find a compressor somewhere in the sticks)

Also if you have some spare space.....you will meet locals on your cycles there. Some spare tubes, patch kits etc to dish out on the odd ocasion. A little goodwill goes a long way in a foreign country.