Cervelo launch S3 Disc aero road bike

News bot

Free from the constraints of rim brakes, the S3 Disc has been engineered to be stiffer and more aerodynamic than its rim-brake counterpart, while continuing to make the most of the lightweight design rooted in the Project California research facility.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which teams ride Cervelo? DD and...

Think they will defy the others and ride with disc brakes?

Which teams ride Cervelo? DD and...

Think they will defy the others and ride with disc brakes?

Cervelo Bigla  (Miss Moolman-Pasio's Team)

Unless you live in Euroland and roll lots of wet roads 7 months of the year and spend hours in Alpine like mountains....

It's all marketing

Exciting though ????

Is there a difference in geometry between the traditional / rim brake one and the one with discs?

No different to the S3 geometry wise - from another spec sheet for the bike:

"The S3 Disc features identical geometry to the S3, with classic road handling and fit."

Maybe marketing but is also technology driven.  Biggest issue with carbon wheels is the braking surface and wheels can get only so light without serious issues in this area.

Moving to disks takes everything away from the rims, keeps heat away from carbon, so potential for lighter wheels and differing carbon technology on the rims

"Free from the constraints of rim brakes"

That's great marketing speak.

I have a 2016 S3 and I always think to myself I wish I was not restrained by these rim brakes.

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim  brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Coming down Spook Hill in Somerset West last night and I couldn't stop at the stop street!

I can't see how discs are a bad thing.

Manufactures of disc brake, road bikes, should play with the idea of covering the disc with a light weight non shatter ventilated carbon / plastic shell for safety purposes. 

just think of the marketing possibilities with such future... :whistling:

- eliminate the danger of cutting in accidents

- more aero

- more protected from dirt / dust

post-7189-0-28445700-1474635256.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim  brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Coming down Spook Hill in Somerset West last night and I couldn't stop at the stop street!

I can't see how discs are a bad thing.

Was that going up spook hill? Or down

Not saying disks are bad but I certainly have never felt the need for them on any of my cervelos. My S3 sans disks stops just fine. Disks if anything may make it stop much quicker an that could be dangerous,

Not sure how adding disks makes the bike stiffer unless there are other changes.

The S5 to my knowledge is still constrained ...

Not sure how adding disks makes the bike stiffer unless there are other changes.

Another snippet from the spec sheets below. There are some changes which improve stiffness, notably the thru-axle front and rear.

STIFFNESS

As with our other disc platforms, 12mm thru-axle technology boosts

stiffness in both the back-end and in the fork, leading to better handling

in corners and an 8 per cent increase in headtube stiffness. We’ve also

boosted bottom-bracket stiffness by 9 per cent to improve overall

handling and power transfer to the pedals.