Cervelo launch S3 Disc aero road bike

News bot

Was that going up spook hill? Or down

Not saying disks are bad but I certainly have never felt the need for them on any of my cervelos. My S3 sans disks stops just fine. Disks if anything may make it stop much quicker an that could be dangerous,

Not sure how adding disks makes the bike stiffer unless there are other changes.

The S5 to my knowledge is still constrained ...

I think it's more the wheels than the bike. I've never been overly confident of the stopping power of carbon rims, in the wet or in the dry.

I've also almost killed myself going from my bike with carbon wheels to my other bike with aluminium rims - almost a guaranteed way to go over the bars the first time you brake!

And it was down!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Zabriskie could be faster if he shaved and cut his hair ;)

Only negative is the fact that some 25mm tyres may not fit on the frame.

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim  brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Coming down Spook Hill in Somerset West last night and I couldn't stop at the stop street!

I can't see how discs are a bad thing.

Glad I had Alu rims when everested up there :P 

You need a gravel bike for that hill really....

• 1 year later...

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Coming down Spook Hill in Somerset West last night and I couldn't stop at the stop street!

It’s exactly this, coming down Spook from Helderberg College in the pissing rain that caused me to start the disc bike thread. I was on Boras and nearly died, was unable to come to a stop until past PV high school.

Discs are the way, we just need CSA to catch-up with rules quickly.

Edited by Patchelicious

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim  brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Once long ago in a far away galaxy.....Carbon deep sections were reserved for racing only and mortals used normal alu rims for training

Some will bleat that all this carbon (and its related problems) and discs is progress

I will bleat that there is a good reason that it took so long for discs to become standard (almost) on road bikes

Once long ago in a far away galaxy.....Carbon deep sections were reserved for racing only and mortals used normal alu rims for training

Some will bleat that all this carbon (and its related problems) and discs is progress

I will bleat that there is a good reason that it took so long for discs to become standard (almost) on road bikes

What’s that good reason?

What’s that good reason?

Extra weight, extra hassles, extra noise, ​extra costs​extra braking power 

Think about it, disc brakes came out on mtbks last century, so why now only on road bikes?

And so did carbon deep section wheels come out last century

Extra weight, extra hassles, extra noise,

​extra costs

, ​extra braking power

Think about it, disc brakes came out on mtbks last century, so why now only on road bikes?

I think it’s all based on necessity, laws of diminishing returns..... disc make a much bigger difference on muddy wet MTB than on roadies. Roadies have always been more weight orientated. So I think manufacturers and consumers focused on that. Now that you can no longer drive the weight down much more, they look to drive innovation else where. Disc make some sense now as the improvement is worth it.... but yes, for normal training, good old alus still make sense.

But then since when does “sense” come into play in cycling? ????

Extra weight, extra hassles, extra noise, ​extra costs​extra braking power 

Not saying VIVA disc, but part of the reason for it only happening now was the need for other tech to evolve. 

Thru axles, better (lighter yet stronger) carbon lay up tech and fibres, etc. PLUS the advent of carbon wheels have forced the industry to look at alternative solutions to stop a bike that does not require friction on the wheels.

Its part solution to another problem, part advances in (other) tech as well as in the tech itself (hydro discs have come a LONG way) and part "the latest and greatest". I'm riding a disc bike at the moment and it is quite a step up from the bike I rode before. 

Not saying VIVA disc, but part of the reason for it only happening now was the need for other tech to evolve. 

Thru axles, better (lighter yet stronger) carbon lay up tech and fibres, etc. PLUS the advent of carbon wheels have forced the industry to look at alternative solutions to stop a bike that does not require friction on the wheels.

Its part solution to another problem, part advances in (other) tech as well as in the tech itself (hydro discs have come a LONG way) and part "the latest and greatest". I'm riding a disc bike at the moment and it is quite a step up from the bike I rode before. 

I had my first carbon rims (Zipp deep sections) in the late 90's and I'm the first to admit discs are a better braking system.

Unfortunately that is the only advantage, albeit it a big one

Disc systems are imo still more of a hassle factor compared to rim brakes and i'm not convinced that for the average rider worth the extra hassle

But then since when does “sense” come into play in cycling?

^^^ THIS!!!

That said, a middling road disc bike can be ±7.5kg (it said so on the packet), and that's not too shabby. Can probably shave that down a fair bit (I need a sugar daddy though). Again, for a disc bike... that stops properly. all the time.

Extra weight, extra hassles, extra noise,

​extra costs

, ​extra braking power

They ran out of marketing tools. They've been riding on the weight thing for years, then it was stiffness, then aero. What else could they do. So disc brakes it is.

They ran out of marketing tools. They've been riding on the weight thing for years, then it was stiffness, then aero. What else could they do. So disc brakes it is.

Weight saving aerodynamic carbon discs that charge your lights and top up your water bottle