Mopkop

Hi Guys

Im looking at possibly spending R10k on a wheelset for my road bike, depending on what the insurance pay out. It will be replacing my Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels.

Ill use the wheels everyday, training and racing. Ive do also have a set of 45mm carbon rims still waiting for hubs which will eventually be just for racing. I was thinking of getting a cheaper wheelset and the hubs with the change perhaps. Looking at getting Hope RS Mono hubs, DT 240s is slightly outa budget.

The training/wheels need to be fit and forget type setup.

Fulcrum racing 3

Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Mavic Cosmic

Campag Zonda

American 420

Shimano RS81

HELP!

Mavic and American classic wheels because they use catridge bearings. Shimano and fulcrum is cup and cone bearings.

Ive been put off from Mavic just a little bit with their spoke/nipple setup. The Alluminium on aluminium is not a good thing and I was advised by my LBS that about twice yearly I should take them in to be loosened, greased/lubed and trued to avoid the nipples breaking like they have

If fulcrum is cup n cone is the campy zonda also cup n cone?

If they are clinchers, why not just build the carbon hoops with excellent, servicable Chris King (or equivalent) hubs and save the rest of the money.

There is no reason why you cannot use them as everyday wheels.

If you want to, you can change tyres and tubes to lightweight ones for racing.

If they are clinchers, why not just build the carbon hoops with excellent, servicable Chris King (or equivalent) hubs and save the rest of the money.

There is no reason why you cannot use them as everyday wheels.

If you want to, you can change tyres and tubes to lightweight ones for racing.

Very good point! I've been operating with one wheelset all the time no already so it wont make a difference. Ill have to shop around and see where uncle Chris is at a good price.

Scared of running the carbons all day every day tho

I'm running the AC victory 30 wheels for training wheels.

They are strong, semi aero and they can be run tubeless. Running them currently with 25mm hardshell Gators and they are a go anywhere wheelset.

http://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-road/american-classic-victory-30-tubeless-clincher-wheelset.html

You will also have cash left over to get new tyres etc.

Edited by Schnavel

Thanks Schnavel, i didnt even think of that. Ill have change for very very nice hubs. I see the kings are about R7000 all in from wiggle

After riding Campy, Mavics and Fulcrum wheels, the fulcrum racing quattros are the best out of the lot. Only reason I didnt go for the racing 3's was due to price....but im happy with the quattros.

P.S. Carbon hoops are good looking, but overrated.

Edited by Winstonian1984

Thanks Schnavel, i didnt even think of that. Ill have change for very very nice hubs. I see the kings are about R7000 all in from wiggle

For the road hubs? Price I am seeing is about $724

For the road hubs? Price I am seeing is about $724

My bad, that was for DT 240s at about 400euro :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

So the insurance is playing ball and I need to make a choice soon.

Where can I find Vision wheels in CPT?