Scared of Cape Town

Whatsup!

yeah dude its over for your bike I just left this outdoors in cape town  for two hours and look at it now  :whistling:

That pic was not taken in Cape Town.  Would have been stolen in 10 minutes if you left it outside  :ph34r:  :whistling:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I admit the topic is a bit of click bait  :whistling:

I have an opportunity to work in CT for a long term contract and really excited about it.

So besides from been a bit nervous of angry tear gas wielding cyclist, what actually scares me is RUST vs BIKES

When doing races or spending time on holiday in Cape Town, even though I always wash my bike after a ride (mountain bike that is) I always seem to pick up a bit of rust on the drive train.

So the question is, how do you avoid it as best as possible?

What lubes do you use? For rides and after washing?

I will store the bikes in a garage but will be pretty close to the sea.

Any other experienced views on how best to avoid (if possible) my biggest nightmare.

Stay in Jhb .....that's your best bet

Make sure the garage is dry. Often older garages tend to get very damp because they were built without damp proofing (resulting in rising damp) and a bike stored there long term will suffer because of it. Even if it is a newer building, make sure rain doesn't get blown in under the garage door. The damp parts of Cape Town is anywhere within a couple of hundred metres from the ocean, anywhere in Newlands and low lying areas near vleis and rivers. Northern Suburbs are quite dry. The Atlantic seaboard is wet, but if you are rich enough to live in Clifton, you de-humidify your underground garage anyway, so your Ferrari won't rust, so it's easy enough to park your bike next to it.. 

Hmmm ... I never really wash my bikes. I have an idea that steel and water don't go too well together. An occasional wipe-down with a cloth suffices. The biggest problem actually seems to be dust, especially on chrome bits.

I wash my bike only as often as necessary, and whenever I clean the drivetrain, I always dry it off with an air compressor and lube after 10-20mins. I'm a 2 min cycle from the beach so if I leave my drivetrain wet it rusts, dry it off (even without lube) and rust is never a problem.

Living in Muizenberg i have to spray all my tools and everthing in my garage with wd40 every month or two to prevent surface rust. My bikes only tend to get surface rust on bolt heads and the like if i dont use them for a while. The trick is to just keep everything clean and wipe down with an oily rag or a bit of q20 or similar. My bakkie lives outside, the rust popping up all over is another story...

Rust is the least of your problems. Moisture doesn't have time to sit around in Cape Town, because the wind sends it up the coast by the time it's 100m above the ground. The wind is what you should be scared of, really really scared.

Rust is the least of your problems. Moisture doesn't have time to sit around in Cape Town, because the wind sends it up the coast by the time it's 100m above the ground. The wind is what you should be scared of, really really scared.

So what you saying is that I need to ride equally with the wind come from all directions to get a clean sand blast paint removal finish and that I can update my paint work every couple of months.

Just use a bit more lube - I like Squirt as my go to.  I live close to the sea, ride outside every day and never get rust on my drive train.

I've also been lucky enough not to have a run in with pepper spray man  :ph34r:

This has probably been mentioned so many times, but the teenager in me can't ignore the words lube and squirt in one sentance. :lol:

So what you saying is that I need to ride equally with the wind come from all directions to get a clean sand blast paint removal finish and that I can update my paint work every couple of months.

True story, the poor Blouberg folk with swimming pools end up with half the beach in their pools once a week.

Living in Muizenberg i have to spray all my tools and everthing in my garage with wd40 every month or two to prevent surface rust. My bikes only tend to get surface rust on bolt heads and the like if i dont use them for a while. The trick is to just keep everything clean and wipe down with an oily rag or a bit of q20 or similar. My bakkie lives outside, the rust popping up all over is another story...

also live in muizies and this is exactly the same deal i get. actually built the garage to stop the car rusting.

lots of surface rust on bikes, but not big deal really.

JB could go on about rust on chains being A-OK