Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

Did you not end up paying VAT twice, once for the UK, and once for SA when you forward it on?

I have so far only used them for a shipment from the US, and there was an inbound VAT charge.  In spite of this, the item in question was about 35% cheaper, albeit a non-cycling purchase

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind the importing of these things. We have the skills and know how to make all of these equipment from bicycle parts to cameras to cars. However along the line we will still over pay.

Please make me a cheap car, my is a bit faaktap

If SRAM and others want to change the rules to protect local markets, it would be good if they changed other things about the supply chain. Surely certain products don't need to be kept in stock eg a Pike fork and other high value items? This could be ordered in by the shop when a customer orders one. The same for certain other parts eg drive train group sets etc. Obviously some spares need to be kept in stock, but those items could be sold on pre-order at a far better price.

As I typed this I started thinking of problems with this idea. It would mess with their mark up pricing and no doubt go against their long standing business model. Some instant gratification loving customers might also be turned off. I am sure there are other issues I haven't thought of too. 

Back to looking for vendors who will send here :-).

I can understand the frustration from an SRAM perspective, most likely under pressure from the local distributors who would be required to make minimum volume orders and keep to a spend per year target, it their agreement is a standard territory distribution agreement.

I used to be involved as an agent for distribution of various products that had a huge market in SA, and which we believed we supported better than any other product in SA. The money spent on local marketing, support and distribution was huge and the required stock holdings were also huge. The frustration of people grey marketing the products and us having to support the customers at the end of it was enormous, and this was pre-easynonline ordering. At the same time, we had a very clear direct distribution channel to retailers and the margins were very very reasonable.

I know that some uk distributors are very frustrated with the likes of CRC/Wiggle as they grey import a lot of products into the U.K. I recently needed a warranty issue resolved on a fox fork (coincidentally bought in SA) and the uk agents told me specifically not to take it to CRC as they would not accept warrant y work from them because of the grey market issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neither are the Sram agents for SA.

we all know this yes :thumbup:

I should have be more specific - sorry

See page 9 of the thread mentioned by me (link in above post)

The danger to online shops (might be foreign and local) was raised in this meeting...hurting the local industry...

Might be these "kingpins" work more closely than we think...lol

Edited by Mongoose!

Aaaaand .....

Zipp also no longer available to be shipped to South Africa by CRC.

Makes sense - actually part of SRAM, and the same distributor in SA.

Bike24.com is still delivering SRAM - just received this cheeky little package today - a SRAM XX1 1x12 Eagle complete drivetrain in black.  Sweeet

Nice !!

And good job on the black. That gold is just no 

Bike24.com is still delivering SRAM - just received this cheeky little package today - a SRAM XX1 1x12 Eagle complete drivetrain in black. Sweeet

May I ask the cost. ...saw a set today locally for 22.5k

Edited by Hairy

Well first thing- Can we actually legally buy a Sram etap groupset from Sram SA?? NO - so then why the heck dont they allow us to buy it elsewhere where we can actually get it if we want it.

And then if so be it that sram SA needs to perform some maintainance or warranty jobs on them- we still paid good oney for them and it should not be an issue where you got it from.

I think Sram SA must start waking up and see that a lot of SouthAfricans are buying from international shops-makes you think, maybe there is something wrong locally.

I just ship all international orders to Dubai(no tax or duties) and then it makes it way to SA in some luggage/or even worth buying a plane ticket to fetch it in Dubai at times....

Maybe this is a harsh post-but maybe true

May I ask the cost. ...saw a set today locally for 22.5k

The kit cost just over R15K, and I had to pay R2.4K customs - so R17.5K all in. I think I got lucky with the exchange rate at the time of purchase, as the ZAR has been all over the place these past few months