Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

From a business perspective, there won't be too many companies keen on importing "outdated" products just in case there is a customer that might need it. No one wants to finance dead or potentially slow moving stock. You can blame your fellow cyclists rather for falling over their feet to upgrade to the latest and greatest incremental improvement for marginal gains in this industry, and of course Sram/Shimano global for their sales restrictions. 

a more proactive solution might be for SRAM to create an "express porthole" for distributors to tie into ... kind of like SRAM being a CRC to the distributors where they can purchase smaller volumes or older stock and have it shipped to the relevant LBS that needs it.

surely if CRC can distribute small volumes around the world and make a profit, then a big company like SRAM could do the same by utilising their current distribution network?

the end product should not have to cost much more, if any, to the end user.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the ideal situation, but like many manufacturers, they only interested in the bigger number. 

I broke my SRAM red 10 speed derailleur a while back and discovered that the 11 speed SRAM derailleur works just as well with 10 speed shifters and cassette. I also could not find a 10 speed SRAM derailleur locally. Ended up buying an 11 speed SRAM Rival off the bikehub.

. The 10s and 11s dérailleurs are cross compatible. The difference is the shifter. Upgrade from 10s to 11s is simply a shifter away.

can't find a 10s? Buy the 11s.

a more proactive solution might be for SRAM to create an "express porthole" for distributors to tie into ... kind of like SRAM being a CRC to the distributors where they can purchase smaller volumes or older stock and have it shipped to the relevant LBS that needs it.

surely if CRC can distribute small volumes around the world and make a profit, then a big company like SRAM could do the same by utilising their current distribution network?

Why?

SRAM already does this but it doesn't make sense for a distributor to import one offs all the time. They fill a shipment of special orders every month to make it cost effective totthe end user.

Why?

SRAM already does this but it doesn't make sense for a distributor to import one offs all the time. They fill a shipment of special orders every month to make it cost effective totthe end user.

Because the post I was replying to was asking why should SRAM hold old stock, my proposal is a solution to the "old stock" issue, or for when SRAM SA distributors want to wait a few months before bringing something specific in.

From a business perspective, there won't be too many companies keen on importing "outdated" products just in case there is a customer that might need it. No one wants to finance dead or potentially slow moving stock. You can blame your fellow cyclists rather for falling over their feet to upgrade to the latest and greatest incremental improvement for marginal gains in this industry, and of course Sram/Shimano global for their sales restrictions. 

I agree but also disagree when the customer is prepared to order as a special order, then the importer should bring it in on his next consignment.

I needed a special TREK BB which also wasn't stocked by the importer, in fact when they checked with TREK USA they only had 4 in stock - I ordered through a LBS and they brought it in for me within 2 weeks.

I agree but also disagree when the customer is prepared to order as a special order, then the importer should bring it in on his next consignment.

I needed a special TREK BB which also wasn't stocked by the importer, in fact when they checked with TREK USA they only had 4 in stock - I ordered through a LBS and they brought it in for me within 2 weeks.

Completely! It surely costs the supplier nothing to add a tyre to their existing order from their supplier (an example, but yes, I'm talking to you Spez RSA and Rush Sports) :P

Completely! It surely costs the supplier nothing to add a tyre to their existing order from their supplier (an example, but yes, I'm talking to you Spez RSA and Rush Sports) :P

But nearly all the distributors are doing this. It's just the frequency that differs depending on demand for non std stock items. these are always airfreighted in. Sometimes you're lucky when you get you order in jsut before they clsoe the specialk order book for the next consignment, other times you're unlucky and its just after and you have to wait for the next order.

Neither SRAM or Shimano is going to go through the trouble of determining which products are not stocked in SA anylonger due to low demand and therefore lift the sales restriction on just those items

. The 10s and 11s dérailleurs are cross compatible. The difference is the shifter. Upgrade from 10s to 11s is simply a shifter away.

can't find a 10s? Buy the 11s.

Even 12sp is the same shift ratio. I'm using an 11sp XX1 derailleur on 12sp 9-46 cassette. which is lighter and cheaper than eagle XX1. :w00t:

so did you just upgrade to a 12spd shifter and cassette then?

this has my interest as I need to replace my 11spd XD cassette and if the cost is minimal it may be worth it to go 12spd if it is just a shifter and cassette with chain needed!

Even 12sp is the same shift ratio. I'm using an 11sp XX1 derailleur on 12sp 9-46 cassette. which is lighter and cheaper than eagle XX1. :w00t:

you only need the XX1/XO1/GX type 3 rear deraileur if you are using a cassette with a largest sprocket bigger than 46T.

Below this the 11speed derailleur will work with 10, 11 or 12 speed shift systems.

I don’t, unless you put in place or are part of an anti competitive arrangement that blocks me from buying from the business that is willing to stock that. Then I do complain.

Edited by daniemare

So I sent the above to SRAM USA and they said the following.....basically a generic type reply.

post-5403-0-12235700-1564141038_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...