Newbie - MTB - First Race

lurendrin

Hi guys,

I posted previously in the buyers guide section as i was looking to buy a MTB 2 weeks ago. Was looking for something entry-level as i have not ridden a bike in over 15 years (I'm 28 now). After much research and shopping around, went for a 2017 Titan 29er Ryde, brand new. Bought it a few days ago.

As crazy as this sounds, a few of my friends and colleagues are taking part in the Mahala Magic race and convinced me to sign up. This race is taking place next week Saturday! (I know, I know).

Would like to know what the absolutely essentials are that i would need to purchase to be race ready and what would the entry-level but good quality starter versions be. I have already bought a hlemet, set of gloves and tubeless tyres (conversation will happen this weekend). A few things i came across as most talked about:

1. Cycling Bibs

2. MTB Shoes

3. Pouch for under the seat

4. Computer

5. Clip in pedals

6. Water bottle holder/ waterbottle

Please advise on the above and anything that i am missing. Your help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. 

L.

Edited by lurendrin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a bear minimum you will need:

Shoes (type depends on pedals on bike).  If normal flats are on the bike stick with them until you get a chance to get used to clipless.  If clipless are already on, R1000 will get you decent entry level shoes.

Socks - I assume you have those :-)

Bibs or padded shorts. Starting at R650.  First scent / indola are good entry level brands.

Shirt.  Your favourite T shirt will do.  A cycling shirt starts around R400 - but you can get by without it.

Glasses.  Debatable.  Not to look cool but for eye protection. You can ride without them - but i put them in the same category as helmets. You can't replace an eye.

Helmet.

For the bike.  A tube, set of tyre levers and  mini pump.   All the other stuff you might not know how to use (no disrespect, just assuming you are new to the bike thing).

1 x water bottle.  Either stick it in your shirt pocket if you buy a cycling shirt or get a bike cage.

Oh - and a pair of legs :-)

Everything is available at Sportsmans Warehouse.  But rather try support your local bike shop if you can.

Well done - deep ending builds character!

My comments below:

Would like to know what the absolutely essentials are that i would need to purchase to be race ready ...

1. Cycling Bibs

2. MTB Shoes

3. Pouch for under the seat

4. Computer

5. Clip in pedals

6. Water bottle holder/ waterbottle

1 - yes

2 - maybe (you could do this with Takkies, see 5)

3 - maybe (see 6)

4 - yes to be able to track distance. Go cheap initially, you'll learn what you really need/want if/when the bug gets you proper

5 - No. Not on raceday and not without prior experience. Suggest flat pedals (with takkies initially), maybe with toe straps. By all means, get clipless pedals and train with them until you've gained experience (read: have fallen enough to be stop doing it), but not for raceday.

6 - Yes, but you could also look at carrying a hydration system, which could accommodate some tools and a pump.

Additional items to consider:

7 - pump or CO2/bomb thingy (practice how to use it at home.  Stay away from your pets for this)

8 - spare tube

9 - multi tool (one of the small ones)

10 - Energy stuffs (gels work well...)

Have fun and enjoy!

Camelback. Bottle gets dirty on a MTB ride.  MTB baggies. You must look like a MTB rider.

Noted, the look is key! Thanks!

Shoes (type depends on pedals on bike).  If normal flats are on the bike stick with them until you get a chance to get used to clipless.  If clipless are already on, R1000 will get you decent entry level shoes.

Bibs or padded shorts. Starting at R650.  First scent / indola are good entry level brands.

Shirt.  Your favourite T shirt will do.  A cycling shirt starts around R400 - but you can get by without it.

Glasses.  Debatable.  Not to look cool but for eye protection. You can ride without them - but i put them in the same category as helmets. You can't replace an eye.

Helmet.

For the bike.  A tube, set of tyre levers and  mini pump.   All the other stuff you might not know how to use (no disrespect, just assuming you are new to the bike thing).

1 x water bottle.  Either stick it in your shirt pocket if you buy a cycling shirt or get a bike cage.

Everything is available at Sportsmans Warehouse.  But rather try support your local bike shop if you can.

They are flat pedals, so will stick to my normal takkie for now. Although, if i do buy clip shoes, would they still work on flat pedals?

Regarding the tyre, i don't even know how to change it lol. But doing the tubeless conversation on Saturday, so i should be ok i guess.

Thanks for the advice!

Well done - deep ending builds character!

My comments below:

1 - yes

2 - maybe (you could do this with Takkies, see 5)

3 - maybe (see 6)

4 - yes to be able to track distance. Go cheap initially, you'll learn what you really need/want if/when the bug gets you proper

5 - No. Not on raceday and not without prior experience. Suggest flat pedals (with takkies initially), maybe with toe straps. By all means, get clipless pedals and train with them until you've gained experience (read: have fallen enough to be stop doing it), but not for raceday.

6 - Yes, but you could also look at carrying a hydration system, which could accommodate some tools and a pump.

Additional items to consider:

7 - pump or CO2/bomb thingy (practice how to use it at home.  Stay away from your pets for this)

8 - spare tube

9 - multi tool (one of the small ones)

10 - Energy stuffs (gels work well...)

Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks, hope i don't fall into the deep end :)

Good point about the hydration system, doubles up as storage.

And will definitely get the energy stuffs. Thanks for your advise!

And another two questions, if you will:

1. What do i eat the morning before the race? (Doing 20km's, which for me is VERY FAR, all things considered)

2. Any other prep i should do prior to the race?

My 2c I would skip the cameback, those tend to get forgotten and gather dust somewhere in a cupboard after not to long, go with bottle. As everyone else noted if you are not accustomed to riding with clipless pedals either spend the week before the race and get familiar with them or give it a skip, whatever you do don'g get to a race with unfamiliar gear (unless you like falling and/or struggling) clipless does however help (some sources say up to 15%).

spend the next week doing 2-3 HIIT sessions, nothing to boost fitness like a couple of those, oh and try not to drink on Friday night, from personal experience I can tell you that racing with a hangover is not fun!

Otherwise enjoy! 

lurendin

Well done on your first bike. The first thing you need to learn, is you need to learn. Some by advice, some by experience. As you can see from this thread there will be loads of advice.

To add my 2c. Try and keep things as simple as possible. Guys will try tell you that you need to buy everything the shop has under the sun "just in case". Remember how far you used to ride as a kid? What did you take with then ?

Buy a backpack of sorts that has the water in it. On a mountain bike the water bottle tends to get dirty and dusty. The pack also serves as a store for car keys, and any other bits and bobs that get added.

And the most important advice I can offer you. This is your first race. Yes it is 20km, and for you that is far. BUT take your first race easy. Dont race it and push yourself. Just pedal along slowly and enjoy, hell even if you come last, who cares as long as you had fun. You dont want to hate the last few km from starting to fast.. Rather take it slow in the beginning and if you feel strong towards the end then go faster - but rather just enjoy the vibe and being outside on your first ride. Have fun and then use the experience to decide if you want more.

Helmet.

Sums it up

I did my first race in 2014 after riding for about a year - also only 25km and I rocked up with my bike, my takkies, and a hydration pack for water and storage for my bits and bobs.

My only goals were to finish and not be stone dead last - which I managed to achieve - it was scary in places - especially where the 25km route joined the 45km people, but I had fun and I'm glad I did it.

Have fun (apparently races are addictive - though I haven't experienced that bug *phew* )

Not really anything that you NEED except what you already have.

My first race was a 25km event and I was passed by a gent wearing running shoes,  rugby shorts and a horse riding helmet. No water bottle, no computer, no saddlebag and no suspension on his Makro special either.

Seeing as it's your first one, ride at your own pace and enjoy it (Unless you are going for a podium, then go for your badge son/sister  :thumbup: )

As for the list...

1. Cycling Bibs (I prefer baggies but if you do buy either, don't buy cheap. Get a pair with a proper chamois)

2. MTB Shoes (Give it time. You going to get hammered by the Clip vs Flats debate.... Listen carefully, then decide what YOU need)

3. Pouch for under the seat (Hydration pack. Kills two birds with one stone. Space for your juice, tools and phone)

4. Computer (Helpful. Lets you know how much farther until the pain ends)

5. Clip in pedals (See 2)

6. Water bottle holder/ waterbottle (See 3)

Multitool, Sunblock are always a good idea as is a pump or CO2 Bombs and adapter (Remember to keep your gloves on when you use the bomb ;) or slip a piece of old tube over it. They get really cold when you bomb a tyre.

Energy stuffs are more of a mental thing at that distance. Take some with though. You might need them.

One of those moisture management shirts from MrP work well and a lot cheaper that a cycling shirt. Also a lot cooler than a T-Shirt.

Most important: ENJOY the day! 

Good luck  :thumbup: