Newbie - MTB - First Race

lurendrin

and no one has mentioned puncture repair kit - for tubes or tubeless repair kit - for tubeless tyres.

nothing sucks more than getting a flat on your tubeless setup, all the fluid spraying out of the hole and you don't have a plug to plug the hole. (which is bigger than what the fluid can seal).

even if you have a spare tube you need one of these kits.

spare tubes also puncture.......

Edited by s14phoenix

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I posted previously in the buyers guide section as i was looking to buy a MTB 2 weeks ago. Was looking for something entry-level as i have not ridden a bike in over 15 years (I'm 28 now). After much research and shopping around, went for a 2017 Titan 29er Ryde, brand new. Bought it a few days ago.

As crazy as this sounds, a few of my friends and colleagues are taking part in the Mahala Magic race and convinced me to sign up. This race is taking place next week Saturday! (I know, I know).

Would like to know what the absolutely essentials are that i would need to purchase to be race ready and what would the entry-level but good quality starter versions be. I have already bought a hlemet, set of gloves and tubeless tyres (conversation will happen this weekend). A few things i came across as most talked about:

1. Cycling Bibs

2. MTB Shoes

3. Pouch for under the seat

4. Computer

5. Clip in pedals

6. Water bottle holder/ waterbottle

Please advise on the above and anything that i am missing. Your help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. 

L.

I started cycling this year. Here's my 2 cents.

1. Not necessary. Just get pants.

2. Nope. Tekkies work fine, my friend did Karoo to Coast (100km) with tekkies.

3. Yes, you need spares. Tube, patch kit etc.

4. Nope. Cellphone can track you.

5. Nope. See 2.

6. Yes, or camelbak. I bought the Due South version, its half the price and just as good.

Other than that, you definitely need a helmet and a pump and some lekker gees on race day.

Enjoy!

Hi guys,

I posted previously in the buyers guide section as i was looking to buy a MTB 2 weeks ago. Was looking for something entry-level as i have not ridden a bike in over 15 years (I'm 28 now). After much research and shopping around, went for a 2017 Titan 29er Ryde, brand new. Bought it a few days ago.

As crazy as this sounds, a few of my friends and colleagues are taking part in the Mahala Magic race and convinced me to sign up. This race is taking place next week Saturday! (I know, I know).

Would like to know what the absolutely essentials are that i would need to purchase to be race ready and what would the entry-level but good quality starter versions be. I have already bought a hlemet, set of gloves and tubeless tyres (conversation will happen this weekend). A few things i came across as most talked about:

1. Cycling Bibs

2. MTB Shoes

3. Pouch for under the seat

4. Computer

5. Clip in pedals

6. Water bottle holder/ waterbottle

Please advise on the above and anything that i am missing. Your help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. 

L.

Focusing on the "absolute essentials" part of your question, I'd say the following:

1. Not necessary to get a bib. You can get just padded shorts. Admittedly a bib is nicer but considerably more expensive.

2. No need to rush into getting special shoes. Use your tekkies and consider getting toeclips if you really want but don't stress about it too much. You wont get on the podium but you should be able to complete the race.

3. It is good to be self-sufficient in terms of fixing any problems you have with the bike (mostly flat tyres) so that's what I use a saddle bag for. I think its important to point out that tubeless tyres and completely immune to getting punctures. You could still get a puncture and then you have two options - plug the puncture, or, failing that, put a tube in. I'd say this is something you should learn to do at some point in the near future (especially for when you are out on a solo ride far away from help) but for the race, the mountain bike community is pretty cool and I suspect (especially on the 20km) you should find some nice people who arent in a rush and will be willing to help you, but dont make a habit of relying on other people. Also I suppose on a 20km route you wont ever really be too far from the start if you do just have to walk your bike back.

4. Nice to have but not absolutely necessary. Download an app called Strava on your phone and you can use that to track your distance using your phone GPS.

5. Refer to point 2.

6. Water bottles will be fine. Again, Camelbaks are nice but if you're trying to do this cheaply there is nothing wrong with water bottles and drinking a tiny bit of dust with your water.

Agree with what the other guys are saying about just try to enjoy it. Dont go out there and kill yourself on the first one. You will be unseeded so you'll probably start at the back and if you're in a hurry you're just going to get irritated by all the traffic in front of you. You can slowly build up your skills and fitness and seeding and look at pushing yourself further down the line.

You also asked a question on what to eat for breakfast on raceday, again their will be hunderds of different viewpoints from the hubbers. Again the ulimate is to experiment on what works the best for you as an individual.

This works for me basically an hour before the start I will have a portion of Future Life High Protein or 2 weetbix with milk but not to much. During the race a hour or so into the race an energy bar or banana.

As what the hubbers commented on cleats and pedals the same goes for nutrition, do not experiment on race day.

I started cycling this year. Here's my 2 cents.

1. Not necessary. Just get pants.

2. Nope. Tekkies work fine, my friend did Karoo to Coast (100km) with tekkies.

3. Yes, you need spares. Tube, patch kit etc.

4. Nope. Cellphone can track you.

5. Nope. See 2.

6. Yes, or camelbak. I bought the Due South version, its half the price and just as good.

Other than that, you definitely need a helmet and a pump and some lekker gees on race day.

Enjoy!

Good advice for someone who just started.

Except for number 1. The pants part. Boardies are fine but you really want a padded liner underneath than go commando. Nothing can be more discouraging than pain or numbness between your legs. 

The saddlebag/backpack/water bottle stuff is a personal preference thing. You still have to figure out which you prefer. I personally prefer a backpack with water bladder and toss spares and belongings in the other compartments. Everything in one place. 

But some people prefer bottles and saddlebags etc. Your choice.

Since your friends encouraged you to do the race. Ask them for advice. 

I wouldn't recommend the patch kits, CO2 bombs and samurai swords either. Messing around with glue and repairs or seating a tyre can be really frustrating for someone inexperienced to get right on their own especially during a race. Just take 2 tubes along, 2 tyre levers and a hand pump. 

Check your bike out. Make sure its running lekker. Make sure your chain is lubed and your drive is clean and shifting lekker. 

Don't be discouraged by the distance. Don't give the climbs all you got. Hold back a little so you keep moving. Try and anticipate getting tired so you slow down before having to stop completely. Rest while still moving if that makes sense. Instead of being maxed out and stopping completely. Having to stop more than once because you're giving it your all can also be discouraging. 

Have a lekker breakfast. Take a paar selfies. Go race. Stay hydrated. Conserve your engergy. Have a jol. Good luck my bru.

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses, advice and support. I have read each message and have given them thought. Will implement as best i can.

Will keep everyone posted post-race and will send pics if i can :)

Camelbak carries water and the following

Some toiletpaper in a plastic bag

2x co2 bombs and nozzle thingy

Multi tool that has a chainbreaker

1 link for chain

1 inner tube

1 tubeless puncture repair kit

2 tyre levers

1 small bottle chain lube

On frame i carry a small pump

If its muddy a water bottle to rinse drivetrain

In pockets is cell phone in plastic bag plus car key in zipped pocket plus energy gels and droe wors if long ride.

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses, advice and support. I have read each message and have given them thought. Will implement as best i can.

Have a good one.  Ride to enjoy it.  It will be over in a couple hours - give or take.  So make sure you take it all in and enjoy it.  Then it will definitely be the first of many.

Have a jol and like everyone says take it easy, enjoy the views and the vibe.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Only advice I can give is not to eat big just before the race. Eat correctly at least 2 hours before, and maybe a banana just before. Gels is a personal thing. Some riders like them, I don't. I prefer some droë wors and nuts for the race.

The water bottle/hydration pack is also a personal thing. I still only race with a bottle as I don't like the straps across my chest. I tried my wife's pack, did not like it. I like the air to move over my back, especially on a hot Cape summer's day. My son, who usually finishes an hour before me, prefers to ride the long races with his hydration pack, but rides XCO races without it. You will need to see what works for you, but I would not use it for the first race.

My 2 cents.

I would say skip the camelback - take bottles. Skip the tube - tire plugs and plug tool (works just like a car tire). Skip the speedometer - phone and strava is good enough. Flat pedals and running shoes definitely for the first few races.

I have a very small lunch box and all my tools go in there. Carry in my back jersey pocket. if it doesn't fit in there, then leave it behind. Can add some CO2 bombs, inflator adapter, chain tool and master chain link. Don't worry about tube, beg one if you have too. I have only once used a tube in many years of racing.

Any more space, take some food or a few gels.

Good luck with your race... I'm also doing my First race this weekend.. Nissan Trailseeker #4 only doing the 40km. Have prepared myself a bit, have pretty much everything that i need.

Like everyone tells me, Go have FUN. that's what it is about.. having fun. The only competition

is yourself !!

Have fun..Be safe

You also need one of these: :devil:

I have one of those. Located 2 inches above my saddle. Works at an optimum after a handful of peanuts.