Antionette du Preez

Good day guys, some advice please. Have a 2003 Look KG386 9spd roadbike. Rear groupset very small 11/23 Dura Ace and front 53/39. It's very hilly here in our parts and I'm looking to buy a new groupset back. I don't want to change the crank in the front. Must replace chain. Is it possible to only change groupset and chain? And with Dura ace being outdated, what groupset should I be looking for?

Yes you can just replace the rear Cassette (the group of sprockets on the back wheel). Depending on your current chain length you might be able to keep it or if it's too short you will have to get a new one.

9spd Dura-Ace is no longer available so I would recommend trying to find an Ultegra or 105 with a 12-27T combination. 

Good day guys, some advice please. Have a 2003 Look KG386 9spd roadbike. Rear groupset very small 11/23 Dura Ace and front 53/39. It's very hilly here in our parts and I'm looking to buy a new groupset back. I don't want to change the crank in the front. Must replace chain. Is it possible to only change groupset and chain? And with Dura ace being outdated, what groupset should I be looking for?

hi if u can manage why not go for a 105 shimano compact setup then u got 11/28 in back and u can fly up those hills.i maybe able to get almost brandnew which done about 200km for R6000.00 owner is upgrading

• 5 months later...

Check out the new Tiagra 4700 at Wiggle. Brand new will set you back about R4500. Comes with a 32 sprocket at the back and your choice of front crankset (50/34 or 52/36)