Western Cape mountain bikers in for a Trailseeker Series treat

News bot

Interesting that 2 out 2 events of trailseeker they had a "freak natural occurrence" these guys should buy lotto tickets.

Two out of three

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think the organisers would have learnt from the Grabouw race to NOT take the riders past any beehives. It is as if they are tendering for a moerse lawsuit should somebody die from this. It is a small miracle that your mate did not go into anaphylactic shock from the stings. If that happened, he would have been in serious k@k.

Note to organisers. The indemnity is not a cop-out to take responsibility for the riders safety.

You are right.  

IIRC an indemnity form does not indemnify the organisers against gross negligence.  Routing 100s of riders past bees would be gross negligence in my view.

I almost lost my riding mate to a SINGLE bee sting:    he made it to the hospital just before he went into shock and - get this - he's never shown an allergy to bees before.

Glad everyone is OK.

IIRC an indemnity form does not indemnify the organisers against gross negligence.  Routing 100s of riders past bees would be gross negligence in my view.

I disagree.

In general bees don't do anything to people riding past.  We'll most likely never know why these bees were so angry, but for the vast majority of the time you could ride past there with no issues at all.  

It makes me think of somewhere like Oak Valley where you ride past lots of cows that are all over the roads - they're always chilled, but what if one of them decided to charge at you - would it be gross negligence then to have a route around where the cows are roaming free?

I definitely don't hold the organizers responsible for being attacked by bees.  That is for sure beyond their control.  You realistically can't ride anywhere off road without going past bee hives, either man controlled or natural so to blame them on those grounds is illogical.  

How they deal with the fallout from the bees is far more important in my view.  The speed at which they close the route and divert riders around is vital.  Looking at Strava, there are many riders who were behind me and got diverted and went back along the road and through the finish line ahead of me - that's just annoying.  There was a route around the bees and back up the gorge which some utilized, but I feel that it should have been put into action sooner.  

They may be open public trails but from a bee's eye view there is a difference between 5 or 10 riders racing past the front door to your hive and a stream of a thousand of the sweaty buggers. 

They may be open public trails but from a bee's eye view there is a difference between 5 or 10 riders racing past the front door to your hive and a stream of a thousand of the sweaty buggers. 

Are we debating bee thought logic processing power?

Lolsies  :lol:

i ride the trails at TBMBC and have been going past hives for years now with no problem. 50/50 chance one of us will get sting, we are MTBs and puts us at more risk even when training.

Bees can be a hazard, esp this time of the year.  Often hives split and the scout bees are a little more aggressive. 

Often drier too and they will go for moisture, sweat is wet.

Anyway - people have differing opinions re bees, but we move hives that are close to a route where we cannot circumnavigate them.  When we ride the routes here in ones or twos we generally don't have problems, but if there is an extended time of people flowing past we will avoid the hives.

If you ride in fynbos this time of the year and you see a clump of hives - take note of the bee activity and rather keep some distance.  If you sweat a lot don't dawdle :)

Edit spelling

Edited by Goosebay

So, Trailseeker #4 in the Western Cape - Bosman - chances of bees? 

changes of me entering the race? 0.00000%

changes of me entering the race? 0.00000%

Chances of me entering #4?  100%

I've thoroughly enjoyed the previous three, even with the vicious bee attack.

#1 was the best, and I'm hoping that #4 matches that. 

Chances of me entering #4?  100%

I've thoroughly enjoyed the previous three, even with the vicious bee attack.

#1 was the best, and I'm hoping that #4 matches that. 

the real reason i am not entering, platsak na W2W...  :blush:

I'll be at Bosman and going to try the longer route this time. Don't drink all the beer before I make it across the line.

Bosman #4

Marathon - 65km / 1748m Ascent

The race starts off in exciting fashion by taking riders through the spectacular Val du Charron Wine and Olive Estate, and 5-star guesthouse directly. Riders then go onto some of the best sections of the Bains Mountain Bike Trails at Welvanpas, but staying high and splitting from the 40km going deep around the valley. Doolhof Wine Estate will provide a scenic backdrop when True Grit will test skills and stamina before riders climb up to the Bains Kloof Pass, and enter baboon territory on Aap d Huez. Route 66 will provide much joy with its flowing downhill single track. Now, only Cliffhanger and Rodeo remains before riders will encounter the world-famous Bobsled, and finish off with the thrill of Cool Runnings. The race venue, Bosman Family Vineyards, will ensure riders experience true Cape Winelands beauty and hospitality.Bring your family along and make them all experience the excitement of mountain biking!

Edited by Maila