26er

Ok, here is my story

On the 12th of July 2016 I walked into Lynwood cycles and saw the bike of my dreams standing there

a Brand new Specialized Venge ,

The bike was sold as soon as it caught my eye

I had the bike for a day when the first trouble started with the cable routing, where the gears could not keep the tension and the cables had to be rerouted by them. problems solved no issues

Then the creeking started, this was about a week after my last visit ,

They disassembled the bike to figure out they did not have the tools to take the bottom bracket off 

So they basically took the chain rings off ,glued them with Loctite ,

They then told me that they had epoxied the BB's one side onto the frame? Alu on Alu epoxied?

The next day they told me they decided to take the epoxy off again(I have not had the bike back in this time)

When I eventually got my bike back, I noticed the BB scratched (obviously from using the wrong tools)

The rear wheel was scratched on the Hub (and greased with about 200ml of grease to the extent of not even hearing the thing when freewheeling)

I was told that the bike was still creeking and I should ride it until they had the tools to take the BB off, so I rode it like this until they eventually got the tools in,

Took it back again, they apparently stripped the thing to the bearings,

They told me if this solution does not solve the problem, they do not know what to do further?

Got the bike back, and yes the creeking is still there

Today was just the cherry on the cake when the derailleur overthrew the chain into the rear wheel and I was left stranded at the Suikerbos reserve, (this has never happened to me in over 10 years of cycling)

I am real disappointed in the bike, but  do not wish to "name and shame" Lynwood cycles as they have tried to help fix the problem, the thing here is the problem is not going away..

Every trip has had me going all the way from Vereeniging to Pretoria ..which I cannot afford in terms of time..

I would like to ask the people on this forum for help,

Where do I stand with the warranty on this issue of specifically the creeking ,

Can this be claimed under a warranty from a legal perspective?

I would really appreciate any help

Regards

Gerhard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GLuvsMtb,I get what you mean,but as I said,I do not wish to bad mouth Lynwood Cycles,they are real nice people,

I am just looking for a solution here

Scratching the new bike because they didn't have the right tools? Wtf. Its not like this is some cheapie Makro bike. Or that they're some mickey-mouse bike shop. They're supposedly a Specialized Concept Store?? I'd be looking at my rights under the CPA and considering whether I could get my money back.

I think you meant Lynwood Cycles Horror?

This ^ , it may just be A "DUD" frame I would try my best to get a new one under warranty.

Otherwise get in contact with specialized directly I'm sure they will be eager to help.

Best of luck.

Ask the shop for a new one? It could be a manufacturing fault, hairline crack somewhere, or whatever else. They know of the problems and can relay it to Spez. I wouldn't accept the scratches. Perhaps post some pics of it?

I think you meant Lynwood Cycles Horror?

This

Hi GLuvsMtb,I get what you mean,but as I said,I do not wish to bad mouth Lynwood Cycles,they are real nice people,

I am just looking for a solution here

That's cool, but your thread title seems to be bad mouthing Specialized and to be fair this does not seem to be on them, but rather Lynnwood who has been doing a bit of a hack job if all you've said are all the facts.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon, though. Not nice battling with a bike.

Hi Look695,No the Elite as in my profile pic

Iwan,I know it's such a fine line between the manufacturer and the distributor hey?

I did not even want to name them,but the question was bound to be asked..

Edited by 26er

I would like to ask the people on this forum for help,

Where do I stand with the warranty on this issue of specifically the creeking ,

Can this be claimed under a warranty from a legal perspective?

I would really appreciate any help

Regards

Gerhard

To address your question: I would suggest you sit back and relax tonight and tomorrow. Nothing much can be done until Monday when they open for business again. Phone and speak to the owner or manager on Monday around 10am (gives them time to settle down and get their gears working after the weekend) about the issue. In the meantime get your dates and work done in order and send him or her the detailed info via email once you've put the phone down. Whatever gets discussed, stick to that and give them time to get behind the details their side. 

Arrange to take the bike back in or ask for it to be collected for a full assessment. Specialized have around 400 bikes in their demo fleet so ask they loan you one while they are having a look and sorting your bike. If you're going there go and shake the owner or manager's hand to say thanks for the help.  

This way you will be able to ride and they will have time to sort whatever problems there may be. I'm sure (from what I've heard before) they will get back to you with a solution. 

To address your question: I would suggest you sit back and relax tonight and tomorrow. Nothing much can be done until Monday when they open for business again. Phone and speak to the owner or manager on Monday around 10am (gives them time to settle down and get their gears working after the weekend) about the issue. In the meantime get your dates and work done in order and send him or her the detailed info via email once you've put the phone down. Whatever gets discussed, stick to that and give them time to get behind the details their side. 

Arrange to take the bike back in or ask for it to be collected for a full assessment. Specialized have more 400 bikes in their demo fleet so ask the loan you one while they are having a look and sorting your bike. If you're going there go and shake the owner or manager's hand to say thanks for the help.  

This way you will be able to ride and they will have time to sort whatever problems there may be. I'm sure (from what I've heard before) they will get back to you with a solution.

Thanks alot Iwan

I really needed this advice,I am so upset hey..

Going to enjoy a beer now

Appreciate it!

Arrange to take the bike back in or ask for it to be collected for a full assessment. Specialized have around 400 bikes in their demo fleet so ask they loan you one while they are having a look and sorting your bike. If you're going there go and shake the owner or manager's hand to say thanks for the help.  

Good Advice

Thanks alot Iwan

I really needed this advice,I am so upset hey..

Going to enjoy a beer now

Appreciate it!

:thumbup: