The cycling industry as a whole has seen a tremendous boom during the last decade. Cycling has been coined the “new golf” and the industry has seen over 100% growth in both participation and sales during the last 10 years. But our new golfers are not satisfied with only participating, they want to be competitive. Especially in South Africa, which has always been a nation obsessed with ultra endurance sport, our new golfers want to take on the world’s toughest mountain bike stage races and not only finish, but excel and beat their peers.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love a coach ... but at R2500pm :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

So instead I have dedicated the remainder of this year to learn/study and experiment.

GOOGLE ... :thumbup:  :thumbup: ...theHUB :thumbup:  :thumbup:

But as the article stated , Cycling the new golf so loads of cash to be spent and even more to be made... :clap:  :clap:

Stricker - not all coaching options on offer to athletes are that amount per month. If that is out your price range then looking for a cost monthly to suite your needs and budget is definitely a exercise worth doing. 

Stricker - not all coaching options on offer to athletes are that amount per month. If that is out your price range then looking for a cost monthly to suite your needs and budget is definitely a exercise worth doing. 

The thing is, its either everything or nothing: Don't understand how you can get a half coach?

My view on this is quite simple:

I need a Coach/Assistance , hence the reason why I get 1,

But cant afford the full package so go for cheaper?

So come coaching time I will receive the cheaper assistance ? Only partial?

Maybe its just me ...but how does 1 coach partial?

"No sir sorry, you only paid for the bronze package ...so you will only receive feedback on HR and not Power, or you will only get a training program and not a recovery and tapering program.. we will give you a program but wont be able to tell you if I really works as you didn't take full package, thus we cant systematically monitor stress and improvements.

So for me Its everything or nothing, but at R2500, just not justifiable.

My view is that membership of a proper power studio @ R1,000 p/m is the best investment one can make in your riding (if budget and time are tight).

Alternatively, there are many books and, of course, the interwebs.  My problem is that Joe Friel-level coaching is completely greek to me.

The thing is, its either everything or nothing: Don't understand how you can get a half coach?

"No sir sorry, you only paid for the bronze package ...so you will only receive feedback on HR and not Power, or you will only get a training program and not a recovery and tapering program.. we will give you a program but wont be able to tell you if I really works as you didn't take full package, thus we cant systematically monitor stress and improvements.

So for me Its everything or nothing, but at R2500, just not justifiable.

You get other just as qualified coaches where you get the premium level service at a third of that price. 

You get other just as qualified coaches where you get the premium level service at a third of that price. 

Agreed, I get full time coaching with reviewing of data, planning etc. for a third of that cost

Doesn't it all depend on your outlook?

What is the end goal?

To do races or race races?

Most of us will never grace the top 20 at Epic or win the Attakwas, but doing the race briskly? No, a coach is not required.

Discipline, hard work and maintaining the passion to enjoy your riding are probably a good balance and starting point.

I only 'race' i race a year, Expedition Africa. All the others I am there for the gees, the beer afterwards and trying to beat my mates.

If we are to believe we all need to 'improve' go and do some skills clinics.

I think the attitude of cyclists is warped... faster, harder, scooter! One does not need to go faster and post pictures of you doing intervals on the interwebs to enjoy riding and be reasonably fast at it. Same as a coach.... but our obsession with racing in this country is out of hand... It will not change and hat is why so many bog average cyclists have full time coaches.

But good on them... Supply/demand. Personally I would rather spend that money on my family and take myself less seriously.

Thank you for your comments Stricker. We agree that an "all in" (category 1) coaching package is expensive and a big commitment both in time and cost from the athlete. Category 1 coaching is also a big time commitment from a coach and therefore not a service that can be offered any cheaper. I think one of the primary messages, which probably didn't come across clear enough is exactly what comprises coaching. Anyone can download a training program and follow it and yes that should not put you out of pocket, that is not coaching. So yes, coaching is not for everyone, but from our experiences, athletes are extremely happy once they experience coaching.  

"Any amount of doubt in your coach will nullify any potential benefit." Is that not a very bold thing to say?

@DehanL - Yes that is a bold statement and glad to be stimulating discussions. Remember that we are talking about "coaching" here. Not following a training program (not coaching). If you are paying someone to coach you, and you don't trust what they are saying, there will be no benefit to your interaction with them.  A coach listen's to your problem's and works with you to resolve the problem / situation. 

It is not as simple as you make it out to be

Some coaches are relatively inexperienced and coach at junior or provincial level and some are vastly experienced and coach at international level.

Clearly the latter is able to charge more for the same work, given that it is further enhanced by his/her expertise.

Let me give you an example: Johan Ackerman is a relatively inexperienced rugby coach whilst Allister Coetzee a vastly experienced international rugby coach.

It just makes sense that one would pay more for his expertise. :whistling:  :whistling:

just ride ur bike, not like u gonna win a car or make a living from it. Maybe if u need to get 1 over on ur mates go or it..... but if that is ur motivation then you have bigger problems than the boks.. 

Come I ask this. What do I get for my 30k, say I sign up for  year?

What type of gains can I expect if I follow your program to a T?

Lets make it in %?