just ride ur bike, not like u gonna win a car or make a living from it. Maybe if u need to get 1 over on ur mates go or it..... but if that is ur motivation then you have bigger problems than the boks.. 

For me its a hobby and never about winning a car, if I do ..... BONUS.

This biggest thing that keeps me going in cycling is the improvements, power ,speed  etc etc  

The biggest motivation is beating myself, so when you start loosing to yourself ...then it time to get help, but unfortunately no Ghost Busters ....only coaches :clap: :clap:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just ride ur bike, not like u gonna win a car or make a living from it. Maybe if u need to get 1 over on ur mates go or it..... but if that is ur motivation then you have bigger problems than the boks.. 

not forgetting the boks probably need a coach too

I just watched Stefan de Bod finish 11th at the world U23 TT championships - what a fine performance - well done. I have known Stefan for a number of year and watched his progress since he was U14. He has come to be where he is by hard work and solid advise and help predominately by his club / fellow cyclist in Stellenbosch as a youngster and his commitment / coaching from his father. His father has been seen often taking him motor pacing / encouraging during his training ride even while on holidays in December.

So possibly the answer to the question is we all need coaches / advisor / people to bounce idea off. But the reality is the best advise is normally for free. Yes you may pay a consultant a bit for a Vo2 max test - like one may pay for an IQ test - whether you should know the result of you Vo2 max test like an IQ test is debatable like most things in life. But really should one be paying monthly for “coaching programs?” Recently noticed by other Hub’ers as been copies and pasted programs!

When the coach is spending time with you on a 1 on 1 level (discussing your recent power files if that what they using/ training plan etc) / small group level in the field - then possible an hourly wage should be paid. But most of what is call coaching in RSA cycling these days and charged accordingly seems far from what is really coaching - well that's my opinion.

14611164_1227763850619203_48345098323480

Edited by Icycling

Come I ask this. What do I get for my 30k, say I sign up for year?

What type of gains can I expect if I follow your program to a T?

Lets make it in %?

You are asking the "cheaper option" question and will get a cheaper reply. No offense to cheaper packages; all have their place. Your question kind of gives away your lack of knowledge, but please, it's not an insult!

The expensive question would start with YOUR situation, your details, e.g. age, current condition, threshold, heart rates, your plans going forward, what you want to achieve, etc., etc. And then remember, everybody is different therefore the same program will have different results to different athletes.

Please reread your question and think how it can never be answered without a lot more information.

Great article.

Two things stick out for me:

"Coaching is for anyone from the individual who is simply trying to get more active and lose a few kilograms, to the professional cyclist."

There is just so much information out there from great advice all the way down to down right crazy stupid. Using a coach just brings all that info together in one person who is helps and motivates. Guys pay coaches to help then in the gym. A cycling coach to help you achieve something is great.

"Over and above your personal budget you have to ask yourself why you have sought the help of a coach."

this is a great line, if you have to seek out a coach, you should have an idea of what you want to achieve.

@stricker, I have not read all your posts - but in the one above I get the impression you dont see the benefit of a coach ?

EDIT:  not trying to start a flame war, fight or whatever, just trying to understand your point of view. Is it the cost ? Or you see no need ?

Stricker, any coach which is able to give you the % answer you are looking for would be lying to you. There was a recent very large genetic study (The Heritage Family Study) published investigating nearly 1000 participants' response to aerobic training. What you can see from the figure (click on link below) is that responses vary hugely among individuals. Some individuals even get worse with training. So it really is impossible to tell an individual how much they are going to improve by. You can however do everything in your power to ensure that you improve to the best of your ability. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ONCxyrEqOog/Ui4V12y8X4I/AAAAAAAAAxI/8usFCchF2zM/s1600/Bouchard+Data.png

@stricker, I have not read all your posts - but in the one above I get the impression you dont see the benefit of a coach ?

EDIT:  not trying to start a flame war, fight or whatever, just trying to understand your point of view. Is it the cost ? Or you see no need ?

Go read the other post :devil:  :devil:  :clap:

Not about the coach ...I need 1 is about the different packages and also cost justification

Go read the other post :devil:  :devil:  :clap:

Not about the coach ...I need 1 is about the different packages and also cost justification

Just made my afternoon tea and had a read.

So you want one a coach, but cannot afford a coach. Got it.

Stricker, any coach which is able to give you the % answer you are looking for would be lying to you. There was a recent very large genetic study (The Heritage Family Study) published investigating nearly 1000 participants' response to aerobic training. What you can see from the figure (click on link below) is that responses vary hugely among individuals. Some individuals even get worse with training. So it really is impossible to tell an individual how much they are going to improve by. You can however do everything in your power to ensure that you improve to the best of your ability.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ONCxyrEqOog/Ui4V12y8X4I/AAAAAAAAAxI/8usFCchF2zM/s1600/Bouchard+Data.png

Very interesting study, thanks! Do you perhaps have a link to the full study?

Would be interesting to know whether they controlled any other variables except exercise.

But surely based on previous data, you have some sort of average gains across the board in a year?

What sets the R2500 apart from the R1500?

How do 1 justify paying more for 1 if the outcome is exactly the same ?

Very interesting study, thanks! Do you perhaps have a link to the full study?

Would be interesting to know whether they controlled any other variables except exercise.

Hi Andy 

Its is from this study http://jap.physiology.org/content/87/3/1003

However, google Heritage Family Study to find out more. The study has collectively resulted in hundreds of publications. The primary objective was to try and find genetic factors which may predict the response. IN summary, they haven't been very successful in trying to find the genetic factors, its rather complicated

How do 1 justify paying more for 1 if the outcome is exactly the same ?

How do you justify paying X amount to your physician and Y amount to your lawyer and Z amount to the waitor at the Mugg&Bean? How do you justify paying for a service?

Well - you are paying for someone else time. You dont appreciate the service received for the going rate - go somewhere else?

I work in tax, you want my assistance, you pay for my time? You may well get the same outcome somewhere else for cheaper or more expensive for that matter, but that is irrelevant to my time - surely?

There are also some who can't motivate and manage their own training and NEED an external person to do that ... somehow that gets them going I guess!

+1