Durban To Rbay

Bayanda

Hi Guys,

I am planning to cycle from Durban to Richards Bay in December/January, has anyone done this route before? Is there a specific route that has been used before?

your input is appreciated :)

I've done the whole route but never all at once. Take M4 from Durban to Ballito and then R102 from Ballito to Richards Bay. The sections from Ballito to Stanger and Mtunzini to Richards Bay aren't great. Busy with people, taxis, broken glass etc.

Hi Guys,

I am planning to cycle from Durban to Richards Bay in December/January, has anyone done this route before? Is there a specific route that has been used before?

your input is appreciated :)

Joh, playing with fire here.

I have wanted to do it but looking at the routes, you have no way of making it out alive on the other end.

Secondary road is abnormally narrow and plenty cane truck and cane drinkers.

Highway - vehicles all over the place with trucks driving in the yellow line.

I travel this route often and see no way clear apart from perhaps/maybe going inland via Noodsburg , Eshowe and Empangeni?

Don't do it if you have dependants!

Edited by Sepia

I've done the whole route but never all at once. Take M4 from Durban to Ballito and then R102 from Ballito to Richards Bay. The sections from Ballito to Stanger and Mtunzini to Richards Bay aren't great. Busy with people, taxis, broken glass etc.

Those are the sections I am concerned about as well, safety seems to be a huge issue around there.

Joh, playing with fire here.

I have wanted to do it but looking at the routes, you have no way of making it out alive on the other end.

Secondary road is abnormally narrow and plenty cane truck and cane drinkers.

Highway - vehicles all over the place with trucks driving in the yellow line.

I travel this route often and see no way clear apart from perhaps/maybe going inland via Noodsburg , Eshowe and Empangeni?

Don't do it if you have dependants!

Safety really is an issue, Even via Eshowe I do not know how many people I have seen who got hit by a Car/truck.

Those are the sections I am concerned about as well, safety seems to be a huge issue around there.

Ballito to Stanger is less of a problem I used to ride that section often. There is generally a wide shoulder. Mtunzini to Richards Bay really isn't great particularly as you'll get there later in the day. Perhaps call it a day at Mtunzini?

Safety really is an issue, Even via Eshowe I do not know how many people I have seen who got hit by a Car/truck.

(You don't usually see people after they have been hit by a truck.)

How many people do you see  cycling on these routes.....just saying.

I lived in Zini for a few years, loads of road riding.

Trick is early morning to miss the traffic and heat.

Sadly the old road was my last option, traffic is hectic with scrap vehicles, holes in the road, grass is long encroaching on the road pushing you into the vehicle line.

I road balito and back, Richards Bay and back BUT on the N2. The N2 was safer as the verge of often 2m plus, less glass and the drivers more awake.

Over to the trolls to comment on N2 cycling.....

Trust me, most road cycling in Zululand occurs on the N2.

Riding to eshowe was always good but never went further. Further simply reaches empangeni from the back and melmoth both points being no go for cycling.