First Ride Review: Cannondale Scalpel-Si Carbon 3

Iwan Kemp

A spacer may work, but not ideal - this will give you a horrible chain line

True

Just needs the narrowest of spacer

Fortunately, I am not in need as I only race and compete as a roadie

For marathon racing, for example, a different gear ratio will be needed on the high end for sure.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

76a5ccc4acb0a6e843a4e200d8cdc63e.jpg

Time to ride again after DC & 947. Can't wait for the weekend!!

Ja for sure !!!

My Flash is taking me to Rosemuddy Hill this weekend !!

76a5ccc4acb0a6e843a4e200d8cdc63e.jpg

Time to ride again after DC & 947. Can't wait for the weekend!!

Those two look so badazzzz together hey

(not the beer)

Had the carbon 3 on order but cannot fit the 36. Changed order to carbon 2 so as to get the SRAM cassette which will give me the top end I want with a 34T.

No stock until the new year. I see the prices have dropped as well, let's hope the new shipment has the same selling price.

10.63kg

2 bottle cages and garmin mount.

Eagle, South,guide brakes.

Easy get it under 10 but in this build you can go do the epic tomorrow.

Hmm  :huh:  I'm going to try a different scale...

I need some help pls :)

Moved to Denmark and sold my 26er scalpel a month ago. My jet black scalpel 3 is on order and due to arrive in 2 weeks, The LBS is giving me the option to replace tires and saddle per my choice. Ive ridden a Gobi the last 8years. My girlfriend also bought the same bike but in a 27.5

New dale will come with a 11-42 and 32t chainring and coming with Racing Ralphs. Ive read a lot from everyone on their choices of gearing. Denmark is flat but we looking at some possible stage races in Poland with 2000m climbing each day. Im a bit torn on my options but here goes.

Gearing. Im opting to stay on the 32t and 11-42 while my gf would like a 30t instead. I have no clue how this compares to a 34t with 11-46 setup etc.

Tires- it can be bit muddy here so opting for Conti Mountain king on the front and Race king on the back. The LBS mechanic seems to agree as the Ralphs might be too light for the trails here.

Saddle- i dont know the Prologo zero ii stn is so would rather go for a Fizik Gobi once again. My GF will then get the Fizik Arione Donna as that is the standard women saddle on the high end cannondales (apparently). Which is better, Prologo or Fizik??

Is there anything wrong with my logic above or can you give me some tips on what i should opt for.

Im opting for standard XT pedals also.

Saddle - purely personal preference. Ride what's comfortable. End of story.

11-46 w/34 will have an easier granny and higher top end gearing than the 11-42 / 32. That's what I'd go for. Changing to that myself when my existing cassette is in its moer. 

Tires - hmmm. Mountain King / Race king isn't suited to muddy, IMO. Better (if you want Conti) would be a Der Kaiser at the front, and the MK at the back. Seeing as it's winter in Poland, and you're likely to encounter wet wet trails, you do NOT want a Race King at the back. Terrible wet tyre. 

FWIW the Magic Mary is often hailed as the single best all rounder, so consider that together with a Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic at the back. Yes, you're getting a scalpel and all of those tyres I've listed are AM / DH spec stickiness and grip. BUT - I'd far rather get a good, grippy set of tires for the conditions and worry about saving weight elsewhere. Nobby will roll a LOT better than the HD. HD is a DOG at the back. 

If you're happy with mixing brands, I'd personally run a Magic Mary (f) and High Roller 2 ® as a combo for your northern winter conditions. 

And yes, the stock Schwobbles are ***. Performance line = shaiiiiite. 

Scalpel 3 comes with Racing Ralph Snakeskin but I'm still going to change them soon. Had too many punctures with RR in the past. I'm also changing to 34T. The 32T is not enough.

Better half rides a Small (27.5) and thinks the 32T with 11-46 is perfect. I weighed her bike and was a little disappointed. Standard bike with 1 cage, garmin mount, sealant and XT pedals came in at 11.4kg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took mine to the bike shop yesterday and fitted with everything standard except with the SRAM Eagle upgrade, one Specialized bottle cage and Look S-track pedals it apparently weighed 11.9kg,i don't know but thats kinda HEAVY?!? Size medium, hoping his scale is wrong..

Spec: SI Carbon 2 with Sram XX1

Size: Large

Weight: 11.9kg with 3 cages and XTR pedals, tubeless 

Heavier than my Spark but feels at least 3kg lighter going up hills...

I have to agree, it feels really light climbing for some reason, love the lockout.

I have to agree, it feels really light climbing for some reason, love the lockout.

Just helluva stiff and also very efficient that frame and set-up

What a pleasure

First ride yesterday on my 4

11.8kg with 1x11 XT

What an amazing ride. Much more responsive and twitchy (in a positive way) on the single tracks.
Brings back memories of 26er xcountry handling.

First ride yesterday on my 4

11.8kg with 1x11 XT

What an amazing ride. Much more responsive and twitchy (on a positive way) on the single tracks.

Brings back memories of 26er xcountry handling.

They've built a superb frame hey, Spidey