MTB Routes - Fontainebleau, Bromhof, Randpark

MarkusGr1

Hi,

Living in Fontainebleau,Bromhof,Randpark, I am looking for MTB routes in the vicinity. I am a little tired of schlepping all the way to the Braamfontein Spruit.

Does anyone out there know where I could ride "off road" in the above mentioned area ?

Your feedback would really be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

I live there too... You can ride along the walking trails to the Spruit... And then ride the Spruit. Unfortunately I don't know of any other options :( I commute between Randpark and Sandton and generally ride the pavements, walking trails, and sections of the spruit on the way.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

If you interested, you can check out my route from Randpark to the Spruit. I will post strava links

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thank you Byron for your informative feedback.

I will check out the walkpaths and explore the area a little bit more.

Regards

Mark

Also live in the area. Don't ride the Spruit that often anymore. If I do it will be via Northcliff down Albert Farm to Fratelli's and then back the same way

A few of our routes

Cradle https://www.strava.com/activities/730450272

Piet Skiet https://www.strava.com/activities/554003395

Lanseria https://www.strava.com/activities/471261346

THat one around Lanseria is pretty close to the Lion Park squatter camp? You guys feel safe riding there?

Its really chilled bud! Im on my own most of the time. In 3 years(and touching loads of wood) Ive had only  - some sublime riding!!! SERIOUSLy Its epic out there!! 

• 4 months later...

Live in same area, new to MTB. I don't have a rack so I ride down to the spruit and get on by the trail head at the bottom of Conrad. Then go along past delta Park to the gardens, and back through Linden back to Fontainebleau.

Went along the spruit the other way last weekend. Must say I find the number of vagrants along the route rather intimidating.

Also there is apparently a "one way" section near Iona drive that I discovered by being shat on by some riders pelting down at me. I gotta say if there are no signs, I stick to the left side. How the feck should I know there is a secret one way section??

Edited by Belix

Live in same area, new to MTB. I don't have a rack so I ride down to the spruit and get on by the trail head at the bottom of Conrad. Then go along past delta Park to the gardens, and back through Linden back to Fontainebleau.

Went along the spruit the other way last weekend. Must say I find the number of vagrants along the route rather intimidating.

Also there is apparently a "one way" section near Iona drive that I discovered by being shat on by some riders pelting down at me. I gotta say if there are no signs, I stick to the left side. How the feck should I know there is a secret one way section??

Haha yes some of the okes get tense about 'the right way around' on the spruit, and one way tracks etc. Whatever. Its a public trail for pete sake, horses, dogs, old people, kiddies, vagrants. When somebody is on their MTB on the spruit, they must use their kop and ride courteously, like you riding with someone other than yourself in mind. After all, isnt that we expect of motorists on the road when they pass us on our bicycles?

Anyways, I went and rode Delta, Botanical gardens and Alberts Farm on the weekend. That was also a good ride.

I think only in Delta there is a "right" way around? Rest of the Spruit is fair play?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Also live in the area. Don't ride the Spruit that often anymore. If I do it will be via Northcliff down Albert Farm to Fratelli's and then back the same way

A few of our routes

Cradle https://www.strava.com/activities/730450272

Piet Skiet https://www.strava.com/activities/554003395

Lanseria https://www.strava.com/activities/471261346

Thanks for sharing.

When last have you been around Piet Skiet?  I tried (my first time) yesterday, but was stopped with big yellow "no entry" signs at the Piet Skiet entrance (a friend that had done it a few times confirmed we were at the right place.

Do you know whats going on and if there are any options?

I did find quite a few yellow boards with black arrows when coming back and it seems like some routes are now marked in that area behind Northerns?

Cheerio

Lots of little trails around which I use every now and again

• Green Belt in Randpark Ridge can be used from Rabie by the N1 Bridge, 
  • Rabie climb from N1 bridge towards Rhema also have kind of a trail by the houses, I've used the western side a lot. You can actually follow this all the way to CR Swart where you can take a left and follow CR swart to Kowie also following a foot path
  • Foot Paths next to Tim Road, and some more next to Hawken heading from Tin Road to Jim Fousche
  • Some next to Kelly
  • Fun downhill on Dale Lace from John Vorster to Jim Fousche. Can also head from Dale Lace to JG Strydom on Jim Fousche on nice foot paths on the south side of Jim Fousche
  • Green Belt in Weltevredenpark from Cockspur (close to JG Strydom) to Jim Fousche
  • John Vorster from Dale Lace to Christiaan de Wet
  • Christiaan de Wet from Dolfyn street almost all the way to Hendrik Potgieter

This is only naming a few sections I ride almost weekly.

There is lots of fun dirt road riding towards Ruimsig/Mulders, nothing too technical. If you want to learn the routes you are welcome to join some time.

Edited by johanpre44

Lots of little trails around which I use every now and again

• Green Belt in Randpark Ridge can be used from Rabie by the N1 Bridge, 
  • Rabie climb from N1 bridge towards Rhema also have kind of a trail by the houses, I've used the western side a lot. You can actually follow this all the way to CR Swart where you can take a left and follow CR swart to Kowie also following a foot path
  • Foot Paths next to Tim Road, and some more next to Hawken heading from Tin Road to Jim Fousche
  • Some next to Kelly
  • Fun downhill on Dale Lace from John Vorster to Jim Fousche. Can also head from Dale Lace to JG Strydom on Jim Fousche on nice foot paths on the south side of Jim Fousche
  • Green Belt in Weltevredenpark from Cockspur (close to JG Strydom) to Jim Fousche
  • John Vorster from Dale Lace to Christiaan de Wet
  • Christiaan de Wet from Dolfyn street almost all the way to Hendrik Potgieter

This is only naming a few sections I ride almost weekly.

There is lots of fun dirt road riding towards Ruimsig/Mulders, nothing too technical. If you want to learn the routes you are welcome to join some time.

Thanks for this Johan.  Sounds awesome.  Care to share some activities on Strava or your profile so I can connect?